can any OTers build me a comp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sofa King, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

can someone please build me a good computer on NewEgg? I'm looking at the $700 range, something that I can do all my school work + movies on, as well as as much gaming as I can afford :hs:

i don't know anything about this stuff, so if anybody could help it'd be great

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you already have monitor, keyboard, speakers, and mouse?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$25.99 - Lite-On 20x DVD+/-RW w/DVD-RAM Black SATA
    $49.99 - CoolerMaster CAC-T05-UB Black Aluminum Mid Tower
    $99.99 - Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA-II
    $69.99 - Corsair 450W Power Supply
    $34.00 - Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 SDRAM
    $104.99 - Intel DP35DPM LGA-775 ATX Motherboard
    $189.99 - Intel Core2Duo E6750 2.66GHz LGA-775 65W 1333FSB
    $64.99 - MSI ATi Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB GDDR4 HDCP CrossFire
    ======
    $639.93

That's a good starting place. Needs an OS.
    Burner is great, case is okay. Hard drive is big. PSU is reliable. Memory is cas4 (fast). Mobo is very reliable. CPU is fast with 1333MHz FSB. Video card is HDCP-ready and will easily play 1080p content and will play Source-engine games on high settings.

4. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

those are cheap :hsugh:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

6. Silfx

Silfx New Member

case: COOLER MASTER Elite RC-330
    mobo: ASUS M3A AM2+/AM2 AMD
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
    GPU: EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
    memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB)
    HD: Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB
    DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
    PSU: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W

Significantly faster GPU (more then twice as fast) and twice the memory then the above posted system, similiar CPU speed (minimally slower) and poor OC'er unlinke the intel but doubt thats something your in to considering your asking here for advice. total of 696.92 after rebates excl shipping. Also no OS

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you honestly recommend an AMD system then you are damn fucking stupid :rofl:

8. Silfx

Silfx New Member

that AMD system I posted will rape your intel build in any games, gfx and memory intensive situations, and will be more then sufficient for what he wants to do with it movies, school work (at most its 10% slower as your intel in a few benchmarks, in most the difference is less then 5%).

it has a better price/performance and with its integrated memory controller allows for a cheaper motherboard, wich is quite handy with the somewhat limited budget, I agree on going intel for High-end and most mid-end PC's, but the fact is in the low end it still is pretty competitive altough judging from your posts on this forum your an extreme sackrider for any brand that currently holds the crown not looking further anything else they have to offer. where it is going to be used for or costs.

So basically the system will allow him to watch his movies with no advantage to the Intel, write his documents (doubt he can type aster then a FX6400 can keep up :p), Play games with more then twice the Frame rate, and the 4Gb memory will be allot more future proof and very much noticeable when using windows vista, most new/next gen games.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    :rofl: :rofl:
    :rofl:

(breath)

(breath)

(breath)

(breath)

:mamoru:

That's like saying that the Honda Civic has a better price/performance and everyone should just buy those instead of Ferrari/Lamborghini/Zonda/Bugatti/etc.

Sure he COULD watch movies, write documents, play games, etc on that.... But then again, I have an old AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with 1GB of DDR-400 that he could very easily use to do all the same things... But that doesn't make it a relevant decision for the question asked.

The FACT remains.... You're a fucking idiot to buy AMD right now. You called me a brand sack-rider yet you admit that Intel is "on-top" right now. If anything, YOU are the brand sack-riding faggot since you admit that AMD is not as good yet you still insist on buying it.

Futhermore, 4GB ram is *USELESS* with a 32-bit windows OS. You can't even access the full 4GB. Secondly, 99.999% of users can't even tell the difference between 2GB and 3GB, so that's why I didn't put 3GB in that build. And guess what... There is ZERO difference between 3GB and 4GB with a 32-bit OS.

Again, proving you know nothing.

10. Silfx

Silfx New Member

so you would recommend a $300.000 Ferrari to 80 year old who needs to get grocery's once a week from a grocery store 3 blocks away because of the better performance?

No what is relevant however is that he gets the fastest possible system for his budget in the area's he wants to use it in. wich where (comparing to your complete build vs mine):
    Gaming: 200% more FPS
    word processing: no difference
    Internet: no difference
    watching movies: no difference
    Future proof: 200% more ram

I picked it like said for price/performance reasons to spend more money on items that would matter for what he uses the PC for, And I said intel is better in the high/mid end market and that AMD is still competitive in the low end, guess what with the budget its a PC in the low-end spectrum.

even with a 32bit OS he would be able to adress 3.2GB or so with it, that said looking at future proof and the fact that 64 bit OS'es are widley availble for some time now, there is nothing that obstructs him from going to use the full 4GB, and looking at Windows Vista which is bound to replace Win XP on most desktop computers you will notice the 4GB.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

No. But I didn't recommend that. I recommended a great $639.93 system. Technically, what you recommended actually cost MORE. :mamoru:

So if you think I recommended a $300k Ferrari, then you just recommended a $350k Suzuki :mamoru:

Don't even try brining up "futureproof" with that shitastic AMD system. AMD is the definition of NOT futureproof. They already admitted they are going to have to "change everything" to become competitive again. The ONLY aspect that the system is POSSIBLY better is in GPU -- and ONLY in gaming. For normal usage it's no advantage. And for movies, the ATi card is going to be better. And your system costs more, anyway... So if I raise the price of mine to match, he can easily get a 3850 or another better video card.

I built him a mid-range system. You built him a bargain-bin system. And yet your system costs more than mine :mamoru:

And I double-checked... you recommended an OPEN-BOX mobo. Are you fucking retarded???? And with an AMD 770 chipset??? That's it. It's settled. You're fucking retarded.

My board is RETAIL, NEW, UNOPENED, NOT REFURBISHED... And it's an INTEL P35 chipset.

Sorry. Checkmate. I win.

64-bit windows has been out and it is not recommended for a REASON. Driver support is crap, at the moment.

And for his needs, he will notice ZERO diff between 2GB and 4GB. But you know what, if it bothers you that much... Add $34 to my config and bam you get 4GB of RAM.... And it's still less expensive than yours!

Plus the RAM I recommended was had a CAS Latency of *4*. So it's much FASTER than what you recommended.

12. Silfx

Silfx New Member

No I would check price/performance and what its used for.

On the gen Intel you can expect a new socket and DDR3 as well. with changing the videocard to the one you suggested you would go beyond the budget of 700 esp adding another 2Gb ram.

all A-brands, with beats your system on the only really intentensive thing its going to be used for, namly games.

Didnt see the open box one, that said you can find a different NEW mobo for similiar price, and if you prefer even with nvidia chipsets.

Nvidia, AMD (drivers he needs with that system) have good stable 64bit drivers for quite some time now

Would personally be a logical chooise wouldn't go for anything less then 4Gb esp with the low prices on DDR2 now, which will rise again when DDR3 starts to become mainstream and production shifts towards it. As for the CAS latency MUCH = slightly that said if that would bother you that much put 4x1GB Cas 4 in it.

off to bed will respond further tomorrow

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl: people crack me up. I just will never understand how someone can so easily obtain a better product (Intel P35) and settle for a shitty one (AMD) and somehow justify that decision when they ended up paying MORE for it???

You paid more, and got less. Are you just recommending it because if someone else makes the same mistake you did then you won't feel so bad???

14. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Gaming is normal usage...

I would take silfx's system over your suggestion any day.

IF... I did a lot of video editing/encoding or 3D modeling or any other cpu intensive tasks I might consider yours, but I wouldn't call that "normal usage" any more than gaming is...

Anything you might consider "normal usage" (your words, not mine) do not require any cpu power anyways. I know browsing the internet stresses the shit out of my processor :rofl:

Anything that is "normal usage" is IO bound.

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Sounds like you really have his interests in mind...

ANY system can play movies and handle "normal computer use"... Gaming is the limiting factor, and the FACT is that silfx's system will rape yours as far as gaming goes for less money.

16. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

cmon,.. a 125W +6400? if it's the black edition, it doesn't even come with a cooler.
    and the old 8800GTS? might as well get the GT or G92 GTS.

my input:
    mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L @ $89.99
    CPU: Intel E2XXX series @ $89.99 below

overclocked to 3.0-3.6GHz, this rig will match up well against what these guys recommended for less money.

17. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

WTF ppl still look to buy AMD.

18. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

19. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

if you can get the Intel and AMD solutions at the same price for comparable performance, then there is no question. you buy Intel since your system will have a better lifespan with better options for upgrading your CPU in the not too distant future.
    on the other hand, if the comparable performance systems are significantly different in price, then there is no problem going AMD over Intel if you aren't looking for highest performance. yes, you do limit yourself in terms of upgrades, but AMD is still a viable solution.

so, for $260 you can get Silfx's recommed AMD proc and mobo (the retail mobo is $20 more than the open box) or for $295 you can go with potroast's Intel proc and mobo. that is about 7% of the cost of a $700 system. i don't know how the proc/mobo combos that each of these compare in terms of performance. that AMD combo would have to be a bit faster for me to try to save $35 to skip the Intel Core2Duo.

sorry to Silfx and Codex. it causes me physical pain to have to agree with potroast especially since i love AMD (though the Core2Duos are awesome sauce). :)

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the system that *I* spec'd was less money. So your argument is bunk.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Go to www.abc.com and watch Lost in HD. Tell me what your CPU runs at.

22. Malkavian Star

Malkavian Star New Member

23. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

read
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3112&p=14

same results everywhere else. an oc'd E2140 at $60+ will whoop that Black Edition's ass.

as stated on that article,... I would admit that AMD may still have a fighting chance at the low/mid range CPUs (at stock speeds) because of price.
    but when you consider overclocking,.... it's just no contest.

24. Malkavian Star

Malkavian Star New Member

Anantech is not the best site for OC articles or news try http://www.hardocp.com/
    instead and maybe you won't be so prejudiced against AMD.

25. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

anandtech was actually known to be AMD biased.
    tomshardware are the Intel fanboys.

I do go to hardocp. Also xtremesystems, overclockers.net, etc.
    besides a few AMD fanboys,... the majority acknowledged that the AMD chips sucks at overclocking compared to Intel.