WEB Can a whois privacy thing block the expiration date?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fotenks, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

This old domain of mine that I lost when I forgot to renew says it expired on Jan. 14th 2010 but the domain still isn't available. Can a whois blocker show a false expiration date? Or is it possibly one of those things where the registrar holds the domain for you like a week or two after it expires so you can renew?

Sorry for the newb question.

2. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

I am not positive... but I am assuming the second.

Godaddy holds em for like a month before finally releasing it.

3. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Most registrars hold them for a while, so you can re-register domains that just ran out (or the less nice registrars, do it so they can decide if they want to squat it themselves)..

4. XO

XO bee a honey

No the 'whois privacy' will not block any expiration dates, it's more of a contact proxy if anything.

For .com domains there's actually two seperate whois servers, one managed by the registry which shows the domain/dates/hosts and the other which shows the contact information, your whois client will usually redirect your query to the registrars whois server so you'll get both responses.

Domains are automatically renewed by the registry on their expiration date, it's up to the registrar to send a delete command during the renewal grace period to receive a refund for the transaction. This is why you have 30+ days to renew a domain after the expiration date. Most likely the registry whois shows 2011 as an expiration but the registrar whois shows 2010: http://internic.net/whois.html

If you want your domain then you need to contact your registrar and ask how you can renew it. You are legally allowed to transfer this domain to a new registrar and they are required to provide you with the authorization code - assuming you didn't sign some crazy TOS.

Usually you'll see a domain released anywhere from about 45-80 days after the expiration - if it's a decent domain you risk the chance of someone else registering it.

5. XO

XO bee a honey

You mean they list them on an auction house for a month before releasing it if no one buys

6. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter