Can a router be used as an AP to create a wireless printer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Dec 24, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

If I order this printer with an ethernet connection in back, can I, instead of buying a wirelss print server, just buy a second wireless router and use that to make it wireless? Print servers seem unncessarily expensive for their simple function.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112111

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

First.. explain what equipment you do have? Why not just hook it up to your existing router? If the ports are full, buy a switch, they can be had for less than a wireless router.

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

Just a wireless linksys router for a home network of a few computers that all should be able to print to this one printer (if all goes well). WRT54G.

Say I want to put the printer somewhere else and I do not want to wire an ethernet cable to the printer. In order to wirelessly connect it to my network, could I connect it to a second router configured as an AP?

4. Hate Crime

It won't quite work like that.. you aren't going to be able to hook up to 2 wireless networks at the same time. You either need a print server, or you need to get an open source firmware on a compatible one, like DDWRT, so you can bridge your current wireless to the new one, and be able to access that printer.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, the short answer is yes. you should be able make it work. you just have to bridge the two wireless networks together. your current router should work with the DDWRT firmware and there are many other ones that do as well.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

go through their docs to determine if your router is ok. you can use this as a reference for getting wireless bridging working.

6. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

I'm using two routers running DD-WRT to bridge the connection and allow my computers in the basement internet access.

One Linksys WRT-54GL V.6 running DD-WRT V24SP1-Micro and one Asus WL-500G Premium V.2 running DD-WRT V24SP1 Mega

7. Hate Crime

Very cheap solution to bridge wireless connections:bigthumb: