A&P can a regular (35mm) digital camera EVER look as good as an SLR

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ebtek, May 12, 2007.

1. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

the wife wants to get a new camera and there seems to be a huge price gap between the ones you see at best buy...the typical ones (not sure what theyre called - anywhere from $150 - $300), and the SLRs. should i just bite the bullet and get an SLR.

were having a kid in 3 months and want to invest so we can have some nice pictures

2. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

3. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Are you talking about comparing a digital point and shoot to a digital DSLR, or do you mean 35mm point and shoot to a 35mm SLR, or some cross comparison of film to digital?

Frankly, if you are comparing point and shoots to DSLR and you have to ask, you should just get a good point and shoot. DSLR's require a little more effort to get the most out of them and for snapshots by new-to-photography owners a good point and shoot would probably give you better results.

Contrary to what the supermodel dating, Ferrari driving, Brad Pitt look alike, billionaire pro photogs on OT will tell you, a decent point and shoot will really produce fine pictures. For example the Canon SD800/850 IS is a very nice camera.

4. Jonny Chimpo

BTW, wtf is "35mm digital" supposed to mean???

5. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

what matters more than the camera is the light

6. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

There is no such thing as a "35mm digital" camera. Never was, never will be.

I have a feeling that your wife would be better off with a P&S camera, although I'd recommend a Panasonic Lumix with a built-in Leica lens. When I was shopping around for a DSLR, the cheapest one I could find (a Pentax, BTW) was around $500. My Canon Digital Rebel XT was about $700, not counting the CF cards, filters, etc.

7. Jonny Chimpo

no wai! lies!

[these posts are sarcasm, btw]

8. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

First of all, those are not "35mm digital cameras". They're point and shoot digital cameras. 35mm refers to a type film where each frame of film is 35mm wide. Digital SLRs with a 35mm wide sensor are called "full frame", and only a few are. All of those cameras have much smaller sensors. Basically, don't call them 35mm digital cameras, call them "point and shoot" cameras.

Second of all, don't buy a dSLR. If you don't know how to use them and you don't really care to learn, you're going to miss pictures, take shittier pictures and be generally more frustrated than if you would have just bought a p&s a third the price.

Third, "anti-shake" is not "image-stabilization". It's a pretty dirty trick on the part of some camera makers to mask a shitty "feature". Basically, "anti-shake" and other similar systems turn up the sensitivity of the sensor (called the ISO) degrading image quality (grainy pictures) though allowing the shutter to open and close faster (minimizing blurry pictures) while still not underexposing the image. Image stabilization is a mechanical feature which either moves things in the lens or moves that actual sensor in a way that minimizes the effect of unsteady hands on the image, allowing the shutter to stay open longer while still producing sharp, not grainy pictures. Basically, look for cameras with IS (Canon P&S cameras, generally the best ones) or other similar systems, and not "anti-shake". All it is is Auto ISO, which lots of cameras with IS also have.

As for suggestions,

SD800 IS (A little pricy)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...653E027B&sku_id=0926INGFS10079364&catid=22474

A710 IS (cheaper)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...D8D33508&sku_id=0926INGFS10083627&catid=22474

A560 (cheapest)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...653E027B&sku_id=0926INGFS10085796&catid=22474

The A560 has no IS, but it's still a pretty good cam. It's pretty cheap though. About as low as you can go without getting a shitty camera.

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

10. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

If it's just to take pics of kids (and for your wife to use sometimes), then get the P&S. If you want to get creative with photography, then get the SLR.

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

12. Jonny Chimpo

13. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

nifty!

:rofl:
    stereo mics

14. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

15. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

16. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

thanks for the info. this was really helpful.

and fyi, i know 35mm refers to the type of film. i didnt know the term for the type of digital camera i was talking about so i called it 35mm so you all would understand...and it seems like you did, so my job is done.

17. Jonny Chimpo

18. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

lol i was just about to mention the leica! leica D-lux P&S ftw [just wish i could afford them.

although, that S5 IS looks pretty damn sweet

19. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

:mamoru: i couldn't help it.....