Can a dodgy fan make it spin faster?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MSTRBKR, Sep 18, 2008.

1. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

My southbridge fan has today suddenly decided to get pretty loud. When the computer the boots the fan spins up to its normal rpm and is nearly silent, then seems to step up to a faster rpm and is pretty loud.

In nvidia control panel its always been set to spin at 100%. Just to see what was up I decided to set it down to 80%. It immediately stopped spinning and you can see and hear the motor trying to turn the fan over but it cannot.

Could it be defective? Or maybe a voltage problem?

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

My guess would be that it is a sleeve bearing fan and the bearing is now worn down. When it got louder it probably wasn't spinning faster, actually slower and just noisier. It shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement fan, or just unplug it - what southbridge really needs active cooling?

NM, it must be an nForce board of some sort. Measure the size of the fan and look around online - you should be able to find a replacement.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That being said, for smaller fans (like what's on a southbridge), even ball-bearing versions will only have a single bearing instead of two, and so it's not as resistant to wobbling -- over time (and I've seen this myself) small single-ball-bearing fans can wear out to the point that the bearing might as well not be there at all.

I prefer sleeve-bearing fans because they're quieter (no balls to rattle around or hum) and because the bronze sleeve is usually as big or bigger than two ball-bearings combined. To make sure they last a long time, I mod them by taking off the nylon washer at the end of the spindle (peel off the sticker on the back of the fan to get to it) so I can remove the blades and re-oil the bronze sleeve every few months. It also makes it a hell of a lot easier to clean the dust off the blades and the sides of the housing.

This doesn't pose the structural problem it might seem, though, because the magnet in the center of the blades is more than strong enough to keep the blades centered around the motor armature, even on huge high-speed fans that generate a lot of thrust.

I think Silverstone makes sleeve-bearing fans with the nylon retention washer already missing, so you don't have to do anything before you can service them. However, I'm disappointed to see that more and more fans are moving in the direction of sealed back-ends that you have to drill through before you can get to remove the retention washer. Seems stupid to me, but maybe they sell more fans that way.

4. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

It's definitely spinning faster. I was looking at some other temps in everest before and the MCP (Southbridge) was 84 celcius and now it is 62 celcius.

I'll try getting another fan I spose.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's weird. Not bad necessarily, but definitely weird.

Anyway, you know what my recommendation is for a new fan. As for brands, I prefer SilenX and Sunon.