Can a '96 Mustang have a V8 swapped in place of the V6?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TotalEclipse, Feb 12, 2004.

1. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Guest

My wife has a 96 Mustang (V6) and I want to know if the 6 can be tossed for an 8. I hope so. . .

2. SilverStang01

SilverStang01 A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upo

yes, with a little work a nice v-8 can be put in, the v-6 looks like there is so much room leftover! :)

3. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

Itd be easier to go out and get a damn GT... Probably a lot cheaper too

4. SoD

SoD New Member

Bubba is right, Its easier to buy a used GT its alot more stuff then just swapping motors tons of little things need to be sawpd as well.

5. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

A guy in my car club swapped a 4.6L SOHC w/ a blower into a V6 body/chassis. He blew his V6 up with nitrous and went to a V8. The swap cost:

$4500 for the motor and blower (he bought a whole rear-end wrecked 97 GT for $3000)

$45.78 (bought his helper a nice dinner, they did the swap theselves)

he then sold the GT body and interior and shit for like $1000 I think, then spent $1000 on misc. and tuning.

$4500 total, but he and a friend did the labor. He rolled it 7 times on a major highway 3 weeks later. D'OH!

It can be done, but I personally would trade it for a newer GT, 99+ preferably.

6. SoBrokenHearted

SoBrokenHearted summer unfolded like a tapestry

The obvious advantage to doing the swap is paying V6 insurance on a V8. And yes, it can be done. You have to swap quite a bit though.

7. Dr.Smasher

Dr.Smasher .

you need to do a lot of work, it's not really worth it. You'd be better off selling the V6 Stang for a V8 Stang.

8. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

way too much work involved. It can be done, but it's not worth it. If you're worried about insurance costs on a V8 mustang, dump the stang, and get a T-bird insted, it's a better car anyway.

9. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

dont attempt this for the sake of christ.. to much work is involved as stated.. the headaches are not worth it... and the insurance trick stated above.. yeah.. you wont get by with that one if you get in an accident because your paying a premium on what you dont have.. and if they find out.. then your gonna be up shit creek worst then you started in after the headache and money your gonna have to use to make this car reliable

10. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

bullshit. Insurance companys cannot penalise you for having a differant engine in your car than what was originaly in it. in fact, the ONLY penalty ANY agency can give you, if is your car doesn't meet emissions regulations.

11. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

not worth it. Besides the normal k-member and all the wiring you would also have to upgrade the suspension as it wasnt meant for a v8 car in the first place

12. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

If you really wanted to do the swap, go to greenleafauto.com. They have good prices on that kind of stuff.

13. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

Its more trouble than its worth, save up, then sell the car and get something else,