GUN Campus Open Carrier harassed, threatened by police

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SNDP, Mar 11, 2010.

1. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Not sure if this has made the rounds here, but a fellow student at UVU posted some very interesting videos of him being harassed and threatened by the police for legally open carrying. In case you don't know, Utah has some very gun friendly laws including:

OPen carry is allowed, and on campus concealed and open carry explicitly allowed in state statute. These police don't seem to believe the law or are simply trying to find any reason to prevent this student from legally open carrying. In addition, the state legislature has laws on the books stating NO lower authority agency within the state can make or enforce any gun laws contrary to state laws without written permission from the state authority.

Since this incident, per UVU staff, the Chief of police for the university has ordered arrest of anyone seen open carrying on campus, which is in clear violation of state statute. The person in this video has been open carrying on campus for weeksBTW, and not all of his teachers realized it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaQJs8eoMk

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. SNDP

SNDP New Member

From the student:

My personal feelings from the last few days....

Trolley Square, Utah, Virginia Tech, Columbine, Northern Illinois University, University of Alabama-Huntsville, University of South Florida, Dawson College: Montreal, Canada, Fort Hood, and Ohio State University just yesterday.

For some reason, mass shootings like to occur on college campuses and other "Gun Free Zones". Perhaps it is because bad people go to where they know they will have the least resistance in carrying out their diabolical plans. I believe this to hold true from a petty thief all the way up to a fascist dictator.

I did not break any laws http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/shared/gun_law_pdf.pdf (page 3 and 5 in particular) nor did I disrupt school activities as is evident from the videos I recorded. A student called in to campus police and asked if I was legally allowed to carry a gun. The student did not call in panic or to report a crime, it was simply a question, and I believe it should have been handled as such.

When the officers approached me and I realized that it was not going to be a simple check to see if I had a Concealed Firearm Permit, and I when I realized that it was going to be my word and Utah law against the opinions of two law enforcement officers, I pulled out my iPhone and pressed record. I did so, not to make the officers look unintelligent but to have a personal record of the incident. My reasoning to press the matter beyond that is explained in great detail throughout dozens of posts on the following website: http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7775&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I have been open carrying for a long time, well before I had a CFP, as it was and is allowed in the State of Utah. I do not believe that the gun laws of Utah and the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution are no longer applicable to me while attending my accounting classes. I refuse to be a victim. There is not a uniformed officer outside of each of my classrooms, nor do I expect there to be. It is not their duty legally or otherwise to protect me, I am the only one responsible for me.

I have never open carried to make a point, to be "cool", or because I have some sort of "Napoleon complex". Those that know me, know that this has never been the case. I choose to open carry because I am legally able to do so and because it simply works better for me.

“A right unexercised is a right lost.” Opencarry.org

I ALWAYS go about open carrying in a quiet, dignified, and polite manner. I am always respectful of those around me who have never seen a gun before, by being approachable to have a conversation about Utah gun laws, to talk about why I choose to carry, and to talk about the responsibility that goes along with carrying. People that know me and attend classes with me repeatedly thank me for carrying in their classrooms and for being willing and able to carry a gun at my side. It just sits there, it does not move. I do not remove it from its holster; I do not touch it. It is just an object that sits discreetly by my side.

And that is where my gun stays; unless I am, or God forbid my fellow classmates, are ever in danger of losing our lives at the hand of another who wishes to take our lives before law enforcement can arrive. I will refer you back to the growing list of colleges that have to deal with this kind of tragedy. I am not paranoid, simply aware of my responsibility, and mine only, to protect myself. I carry a gun as a safety precaution, just like wearing a seat belt in a moving car.

Thank you to those that have an open mind and understand this logical approach. I am not an activist nor did I intend for this to go public beyond my campus or utahconcealedcarry.com.
    This has not been easy to handle and I sincerely thank those who are supporting me and thank you to all of those who also carry legally and quietly everyday. God bless you.

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

open carry faggots lol

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

why does he need a gun? what's he so afraid of?
    doesn't he know that campus police will respond within seconds of any sign of trouble even before anyone calls about it?

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i love CC and would like the option to OC as well.

fuck it, more good people with guns means less fertile hunting grounds for ass hole criminals and crazy fuckers who just feel like shooting a place up.

Carry all the time, 2nd amendment doesn't just give the right to CC, it's a right to have weapons period!

6. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

well were I go to school I wish we could conceal and carry, I wouldn't open carry on campus ever though. They have had to step the local city and campus police patrols over this past school year due to gun point robberies right off of campus. Atleast two or three robberies happen every week or so. Although I would never need it actually on campus walking to and from my classes at night is when it would like to carry it.

7. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Open carrying is just asking for problems imo. The common citizen inevitably gets freaked out and calls police. I'd rather people, including the bad guy, not know.

Sounds like the cops are handling it badly though. Even here, where guns are extremely common, people still get wierded out when someone walks around with a .45 on thier hip. I know of one guy that walks down the bike paths with either a pistol literally in hand, or with a shotgun on his shoulder. I have responded several times because people were scared and thought he was a nutjob.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

What about a 9mm on their hip?

9. SNDP

SNDP New Member

I open carried for 45 minutes trolling the halls for a campus cop before class, phone recorder ready, none found

10. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

catch 22

you are free to carry but if you do it too blatantly you risk the lawmakers changing it so you can't open carry

so what's the point of exercising your rights if you are forever scared of it being taken away?

11. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

open carrying is dumb in crowded areas. should it be legal? yeah sure but it's still dumb. conceal carry is the way to go.