LGBT Campus Military Recruiting

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by sholnay, Oct 13, 2005.

1. sholnay

sholnay New Member

This kind of goes off of CoCo's military post. A topic I had not even heard of or thought about until yesterday when I read an article on NCoD. Turns out Military recruiting on College campuses is a pretty big deal - especially to those groups who the military discriminates against. At UCSB's NCoD festivities, there was an open mic session where some students talked about feeling threatened by military recruiters - not for actions against them, but for the descriminatory procedures of the armed forces. The way I see things is - it isnt hurting me, so I dont really care. I in no way feel threatened by Military recruiters - the issue hasnt even crossed my mind. My first thoughts on the topic were: great - some more super liberal, politically correct idealists trying to make everything conform to their beliefs /sarcasm. Perhaps I have this mindset only because I have not fully embraced being gay yet? I still feel this urge to hide behind my fake, straight self, and not have a point of view on the topic. The thing that gets me irked is the 1996 Solomon Amendment - federal research given to schools could be at risk if military recruiters are barred from campuses. I got that last bit of info from my campuses liberal newspaper - the problem I see with the wording is emphasized - how at risk is UCSB? Could - is a very broad term ( 0% < could <= 100% ). Anyway - my final thoughts are that Universities are a business. Our faculty is supposed to vote on the matter - but has postponed the vote until the Supreme Court rules on the Solomon Amendment - in other words, if the amendment is unconstitutional - bye bye recruiters, if it is constitutional, they are here to stay.

The surprisingly large topic is going to be touched on tonight by Ben Stein - Republican journalist/comedian/got knows what else he is - probably in a rock band too - at UCSB. I'm planning on going, it should be good to hear the opinion of a well educated, hopefully open minded republican who happens to hold celebrity status.

Sorry for the length - link to the article is here: http://www.dailynexus.com/news/2005/10157.html

2. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Where do people find the time to do this?

3. sholnay

sholnay New Member

to do what?

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

They subtract it from their 3 hours of OT time, and somehow it all works out ;)

5. sholnay

sholnay New Member

So, it was actually a pretty good speach/talk/whatever you want to call it. The topic of Military recruiting on campus didnt actually come up :hs: ...

Stein didnt say anything that I havent heard before - but it was refreshing hearing it all again. He focused more on the "heroes" of society - the soldiers in Iraq, the national guard, the people every day who put up their lives selflessly to help others. We as americans often forg He made some fun comments along the way and overall - the hour and a half address was uplifting. I dont think you would really disagree with what he was saying no matter who you were.

Funny moment - about 3 minutes in to his speach a guy yelled out "America is not the Government you Fascist FUCK!"

He then turned quickly to go out what he THOUGHT were doors but they were really just closet doors! So he had to turn back around and face everyone... everyone laughing at him... he had the walk of shame cause he was somewhat toward the front of the room.. it was great.

6. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I don't go on OT much. :( I'm more concerned about my grades in courses, work, volunteering, etc.

7. sholnay

sholnay New Member

saying you dont have time for something is a horrible excuse.

so... thats where i get my time.