GUN Camping Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WaWaMKIVDub, Aug 10, 2008.

1. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

I live in MD and its really hard to get a permit to carry here. Although I am becoming a Baltimore City Police Officer, so that will be taken care of soon. I am going camping (tenting) soon with my gf and another couple. My question is if I take my xd 9mm subcompact with me on the camping trip, can I get into any trouble? I would only take it for self defense against human or animal haha (theres a lot of wierdos when you go camping). Ive never had any run ins with the law while camping before, so I dont see that happening, but just in case. Thanks a bunch :)

2. sillyfokker

sillyfokker New Member

Short answer....yes As a soon to be Batimore cop, you should know Maryland officers take a dim view of any weapons being accessible.Keep it locked in the trunk.I've been qthrough their crap just because an officer saw a gun box in my back floor.

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Baltimore is a rough city to be a cop in. God speed.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

In "Washington", the only time you are legally able to carry a firearm "without" a permit is when you are "lawfully" engaged in camping, hiking or fishing.

I would check to see if "your" state also has that clause.

5. sillyfokker

sillyfokker New Member

Exactly as AB!# stated, check your laws to be sure....as a future Balt. city cop, be one of the few who actually have some understanding.
    Back to the question, call the Sheriffs dept. or SP troop that has the jurisdiction of where you plan on camping and ask.Best and easiest way to find out.
    I'm from Harford County, Md., btw, and know a little about how the state is.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Check the laws, but it may also depend on the type of land you are camping on. Federal, State, City or Private.

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Or, "open carry", but it's a gray area. :noes:

8. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Officers don't have a "dim" view on it, most disagree with the laws, but are required to enforce them. Its the politicians that have the dim view, since the police realize banning legally owned guns doesn't help with crime.

9. sillyfokker

sillyfokker New Member

Talk to a few Harford County, Md. Sheriff deputies sometime, them tell me that.I know quite a few LEOs who do disagree, but there are quite a few more who beleive no one except LEO should have them.

10. sillyfokker

sillyfokker New Member

BTW, I,m not being anti-LEO (got quite a few family & friends in the business), but MD. has issues with gun owners and any type of carry.

11. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

wtf lurker

12. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

Wow thanks for all of the responses, and the good luck for being in Baltimore. I know its a rough city, but my dad has been on the force for 14 years and its where I want to be. I definitely know how the cops are around here. You pretty much need to have proof your going to or coming from a gun show/gunsmith/range. If not your getting locked up lol. Ill call a local police department where Im camping and ask what is allowed.

13. sillyfokker

sillyfokker New Member

Good luck on the job.It sounds like you'll be an all right officer.Have fun camping.