A&P Camera Suggestions.. $350 budget, many controls, for gf's dad.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by autoracer1, Jun 12, 2003.

1. autoracer1

autoracer1 Rallyx postponed :wtc: Next one May 10.

My girlfriends dad is a pretty advanced photographer, with about 40 years of experience. He used to be a professional photographer for a few newspapers and sports teams, etc. My gf and gf's mom would like to buy him a 35mm camera, or a digital camera, with a budget of about $350 USD.

I know for a fact he would like to be able to adjust focus, depth of field, yadda yadda, ie, have almost every option adjustable.

If you could give me a few suggestions on cameras that would be good. Preferably digital cameras.

2. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

I don't think you're going to be able to find a digital camera with those capabilities for under $350 US.

I just picked up an Olympus C-4000 a few weeks ago for $400 US (Costco price) and it has most of those options.

For a 35mm SLR I'd suggest a Canon EOS Rebel.

3. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

:ugh: canon rebel line....

4. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

for $350 USD you're not going to find much else.

5. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

You guys might want to consider the Nikon N80 for a 35mm. The N80 body can be had for under $300 after rebate. For a lense, the nikon 50mm 1.8 AF D is a good lense to start with. It is a great lense which is priced at around $100.

6. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

what sort of cameras does he already have?

it might be pointless to get him an n80 if he's already got an f5 or something...

digital wise, i don't know what to tell you, cheap = simple

7. mucky

mucky .

:werd:

The Olympus C-4000 probably has the closest you are looking for as for manual controls in a ~$350 digicam, and its a pretty damn good camera as far as picture quality go for its class. But, like almost every digicam under $1000, the controls are far from natural, if you're use to using an SLR.

Although I love the convenience and instant pictures of the digital camera, there's something about holding a good SLR, adjusting the aperture and focus with your left hand's index finger and thumb and using the right thumb to adjust the shutter speed and just to to hear the actual shutter opening and closing making the 'click' is so much more satisfying.

:big grin: