A&P Camera Rec for a photography noob

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Rocky6535, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Rocky6535

Rocky6535 Now, let me see you smile...

Firstly let me say that I am a noob when it comes to cameras. I do not have much knowledge of how to evaluate cameras, but I am trying to learn. I'm going on a vacation in April, and I want to take lots of good pics as well as some video clips if possible. I want a digital camera in the $300-400 range that can offer high quality video as well as high quality picture resolution. I don't know how to evaluate optical vs. digital zoom rates, megapixels, and shutter speed, but from what I've looked at these all seem important. Canon and Olympus seem to have some interesting models, but I'd appreciate any recommendations along with explanations. Thanks...

2. mojito

mojito New Member

not to sound like as ass, but just to save time and alot of typing, you might wat to check out the sticky up top and also visit dpreview.com to get a basis. We can help with more info when you can narrow it down a little

3. I don't know anything about cams in that price range. Sorry I can't help.

4. Rocky6535

Rocky6535 Now, let me see you smile...

I am sorry that I didn't read the stcky first. I overlooked it. I feel like I just took a crash course and learned soooooo much. The sticky went a long way in helping me get my priorities straight. I still don't know which camera is the best for me for the money, but at least now I know how to go about checking into it.

5. eof

eof New Member

Canon Powershot A95 > anything else in that price range

6. mojito

mojito New Member

no worries, but theres so much info that it would take forever to go over it all. the stickies and dpreview can atleast help you to identify the features you may want and what they do

7. Nick

Nick Guest

:werd:

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i went with the Casio Exilim EX-Z40 ($250 budget) and it seems better than the Powershot X70-80 (the older model one). The EX-Z50 should be a step up, but alot of people opt for tha PowerShot A95 when u can spend up to $400 or lower. But i only had $250 and i don't regret the Casio, very nice video and takes excellent pics after you learn with it.