A&P Camera Nerds - a little advice, please? :x:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ranger-AO, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I'm looking for a digital camera to take with me on deployment. It needs to be simple, pocket-sized, and water/dust-proofing is a definite plus.

I bought a Pentax Optio WPi that I like everything about except for the night-time feature. To take pics at night with this thing you pretty much have to hold the damn thing as still as possible for as long as possible. :ugh:

I've seen cameras that had an infra-red mode that took pictures and videos in shades of green. I would love to find a camera that combined the water/dust proofing, pocket size, and ease of use of the Optio with the shades of green infra-red capability.

Does such a thing exist? :x:

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you wont find a camera with infrared illumination. cameras have a flash because its much more powerful and allows you to see colour.

3. Ranger-AO

My ex-gf had a digital camera that was able to take pictures and video in infra-red mode. :dunno:

4. whatever

whatever OT Supporter

I have an olympus 720p.
    Water proof to 10 feet down and shock proof for up to a 10 foot fall. The lens is "fixed" so no motor drives to worry about jamming in dust or anything. All the doors have rubber seals on um so if they keep water out, they'll keep the dust out too. AL body thats fucking :coold: so no worry's about it being cracked or anything. It lives its life in my fire gear so its up to a good bit of the day to day rigors but it hasnt seen anything like you will ...

[​IMG]

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/OS720SW/OS720SWA.HTM

5. Ranger-AO

I can't tell from the reviews. Does it have an infra-red (or near infra-red) capability? For example, if you were outside at night with no light sources around, would you be able to take pics and videos without a flash? :x:

6. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

i would give up on the infra red feature. either learn to use a flash...or jerry rig it to some night vision equipment.

7. Ranger-AO

I really don't want to use a flash at night while I'm deployed.

Sony had a nightshot feature that used IR to shoot in low-light settings. That's what my ex-gf's camera had. They don't have that available in any of their current digicams, but they have it in all of their video cams.

8. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i've never seen a current-model P&S with a 'night mode'. i'd buy a really small camcorder if that's a big deal to you

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'd get this:

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/ecoshot.html

It's an underwater photography company I used to work for, and this camera is tough.

I've seen it run over by cars, and had it strapped to my ice hockey mask recording video during a game. It didn't even blink from the trauma from either one.

10. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

:werd:

11. mojito

mojito New Member

sony is the only one that does IF, and they have no dust resistant models.

ordering a panasonic dmc-tz3 for my mother this weekend. small form, great lens, 10x optical zoom etc. not bad at all.

12. Ranger-AO

Looks like I'm going to go with a used Sony DSC V1 (or something similar). If it breaks, I'll just ebay another one. At ~$150 per unit, I'll be ahead of the game if I don't run through too many in a year. :x:

In the end, Sony's infrared "nightshot" mode became more important than a lot of the other features on my wish list.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_v1-review/index.shtml

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007