Camera Memory Card Question?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kid018, Aug 6, 2003.

1. kid018

kid018 Guest

i'm planning on buying a 128mb SanDisk SD Memory Card, and I am wondering if I need one of those "Memory Card Reader" things, or is it possible I could just take the pictures from the USB cable I plug in to the camera?

2. Wudan

Wudan Insert Avatar picture here:

You can do it that way, but it means that you will be draining the cameras battery while you transfer pictures. Also, if you have USB2.0 then it might be faster to get a USB2.0 card reader.

3. NolanTA

NolanTA You talkin' to me? OT Supporter

compact flash card readers are cheap on ebay - I bought one a few weeks ago for 7.99 or something - maybe the readers for sandisks are pretty cheap, too?

4. Wudan

Wudan Insert Avatar picture here:

Or just get a cheap 6in1 card reader which will do CF I/II, MS, SD, MMC, XD.

5. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

I have a 6 in 1 that is independent and my printer has a 6 in 1 too (I got the independent before I got the printer) Both are USB 2.0... decent speeds. I was transfering from my cam and it was hell, this is MUCH better.

6. Modest Mike

Modest Mike Guest

go with a card reader, no software to load and its easiar to access your files

7. jeck

jeck New Member

they both work the same. if you have an hp 7500 series, dont rely on the mem card reader on it. it sucks and its slow. card readers are fine, but keep in mind, you gotta buy a card reader. its true youll drain battery life if you transfer files from your cam to your computer; but seriously, its not like youll keep your cam connected to the usb THAT long anyway. if youre worried about draining your battery, get an a/c adapter or buy extra batteries. that way you can spend your money on something more useful.