A&P Camera around $300, close zooming. Help?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ClA, Jul 10, 2002.

1. ClA

ClA Guest

Ok, I am not an expert on photography. My hobby is model building. Like cars, Gundam robots, resin figure kits, etc. Now, I am considering purchasing a digital camera to take pictures of my finish models.

Because models are pretty small, sometimes, I need to zoom real close to get to the details. That's important.

My price range is around $300.

I read in one of the post about a Nikon CoolPix 2500. Which is under $300. How good is it when it comes to close up shots??

What other DC do you recommend?

Please help all you pros out there.

By the way, this is my first post!! hehehee!! Thanks!

Here is an example of the kind of pictures that i would be taking. I used my friend's sony for this picture.

[​IMG]

2. ibewill

ibewill New Member

3. LS20

LS20 Guest

you don't want zoom.

what you are looking for is MACRO abilities.

almost all Nikons are terrific at macro.

the Coolpix 2500 is good, but look at the 775 as well.

Both are rated at 4cm (as close as you can get and still be in focus)

4. kubla khan

kubla khan Guest

i have a powershot a40 as well. i'm not too sure about its macro abilities, there are probably better...

5. LS20

LS20 Guest

the macro on the A40 is 16cm... the same as my S330

that about 7 inches, i think?

either way, it SUCKS, trust me on that....

6. assmonkey

assmonkey Guest

nikon owns in macro. the macro on mine is 4cm

7. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

I have the powershot a20 and I don't like the macro abilities on it. :dunno:

Go with the Nikon.

8. ClA

ClA Guest

Wow! Thanks for all your suggestions!! I am glad I ask you guys. I knew nothing about Macros and cms and everything!! Now i can tell the difference! Thanks men!

A few more questions!!

1) Ok, so what's the difference between Coolpix 2500 and 775?? Which one is better?

2) I search the net for prices, some places sell it for as low as $230, some sell it for like $400!! How come there are such a big difference??? Are the cheaper places ripping me off like they don't give me a memory card or something??

3) Oh! How do you determine the quality of the pictures from a camera's description?? I saw something call effective pixel or something like that.......what is that?? Does that mean the bigger the number, the more detail the picture??

4) What about colors??

5) And about image size. One site said that the 2500 has only 1600 X 1200. While the 775 has 1600X1200, 1024X768, 640X480. Is that important?

6) What about the Sony DSC-S30?? What is the MACRO on that one? I ask because that's the one my friend borrowed me before. Just want to compare.

I keep having a feeling the 2500 is more like a "fun camera" instead of high quality pictures. Maybe because of it's cool design.

Sorry, I know i am asking lots of question! But i know at least you guys will give me a more honest answer than some sales person at Good Guys. Thanks!!

9. Rick

Rick New Member

The macro range on my Olympus C700 is 10cm.

Plus it has 10x optical zoom.

10. Rick

Rick New Member

11. LS20

LS20 Guest

1. both cams are compacts... while the 2500 is designed to be moreso... the 775 also happens to be VERY SMALL. I guess if you wanna compare image quality, go to dpreview.com and steves-digicams.com

2. check the retailer ratings... you can usually trust stuff listed on cnet.com (go to cnet, search for camera models, then look at prices)

3. 1600x1200 = 1.92megapixels... the larger the megapixel figure.. the higher resolution the pictures will be. 1024x768 and stuff is smaller, and saves more space. most cameras of the same megapixel support the same sizes...

4. all take colors pics :rofl:. almost all can take sepia and b&w pictures... or you can edit it manually anyways

5. look @ 3

6. check dpreview.com

12. kubla khan

kubla khan Guest

it's not that bad with the optional macro lens...

stock, nikon stomps it.

13. mgs333

mgs333 Guest

i have the a40 and the macro pisses off... :mad: otherwise a great camera..

don't get the a40 if you're looking for macro shots.

and who wants to mess with a seperate lens just to take decent macro shtos?

14. ibewill

ibewill New Member

the a40 might not be that great at macro shots but it makes up for it with its manual mode.

15. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I have the 2500, and I like it. Got it for just a hair over $250 shipped, and I can take like 180 or something shots on the lowest setting (which still looks great) with the supplied 8meg card.

I'm happy with it. Granted, I'm sure it's not a G2, but the price difference is enormous and I'm not a photographer. I just wanted something to take digital pictures with and stuff. I'm totally happy with my purchase, and it looks tight as hell too. It's really small, almost as small as my Samsung 3500 cell phone. I can stick it in the side pocket in my carpenter jeans and be ready to go.

The only thing I want to buy for it is a bigger memory card.

16. kubla khan

kubla khan Guest

the macro still sucks.

17. HardTech

HardTech hungry

16 megs, the 2500 comes with. 252 pictures with the shittiest setting, 16 with the best

18. DAMIEN

DAMIEN Guest

I don't know. For those who said Canon isn't that good with Marco shots, here's one I took with my Powershot G2 recently.

[​IMG]