A&P Camcorders, Mini DV best for editing?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hellagrant, Jan 19, 2010.

1. hellagrant

hellagrant New Member

Not a photography thread but close enough. Looking for a camcorder.

-Will be mounted on a motorcycle at high speed(100mph+), certain formats better for this type of situation? Mini-DV, HDD, flash, etc

-Will be doing lots of basic editing, I heard mini-DV is the best for editing

-Possibility of falling off or crashing, want to buy used, maybe ebay. any other website that sell used camcorders?

-Ease of use is not too important compared to wanting something that will record at unstable environment. I say this because I know mini-DV takes forever to load, 60mins = 60 mins!!!

-Do camcorders have a filter lens like a camera? I need to protect the lens from flying rocks.

Leaning towards mini-DV but want to check with you guys.

2. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

Flip hd?

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

MiniDV used to be the best for editing, but I don't know anymore. I would think a flash memory camcorder would be easier for transfer & editing though.

I just don't like how long it takes to capture from MiniDV.

4. redna

redna New Member

I'd just grab a little camera like a Sanyo Xacti CG10.

Cheap (~200)
    Replacable memory (SD cards)
    HD (720P or 1080i depending on model)
    Lots of features that the other micro cams like the flip don't have (like zoom, and photos with flash, etc.).

I've got a CG-10 and I use it for Rappelling and mounting on my car, longboard, mtn bike, etc... I never have problems with the recording because it's a solid state memory card, not a hard drive.

Hard drives are known for skipping and fucking up under moderate loads.

I also have an Xtreme Recall helmet cam plumbed into a little Mini-DV sony camera but that Xacti blows it away, so I've pretty much stopped using it unless I'm climbing or something.