Camcorder to PC transfer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ITGuy, Dec 30, 2003.

1. ITGuy

ITGuy New Member

I just got a new camcorder for Christmas and was wondering how to get the video from the tape transferred to my PC? It came with a USB connection, but only seems to want to transfer video and pictures taken on the Secure Digital card, not from the tape. The camera came with Pinaccle software (after rebate, waiting to get it in). Will this software allow me to transfer the video, or do I need to get a TV card with the RCA type inputs? The camera is the Canon ZR70MC found here Any help is appreciated.

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

You will need a capture card I believe.

3. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

The product page says the USB connection is only for transfering digital photos. Your best bet would be to use the IEEE 1394 connection to transfer the video to the computer. If you use a TV capture card, you will loose image quality. The 1394 connection will send the digital bitstream to your computer, no decompression or recompression will be done.

4. Chinito

Chinito Guest

Need video card with video capture capability

I currently have a leadtek 4600 geforce card and it allows both 1394 video capture and analog signal capture. The whole package came with all the necessary wires converting an analog signal from any camcorder into an S-video signal and using the leadtek software PVR I copy it. As long as you have the capture settings on dvi ntsc for both video and sound, you can edit the footage on other programs such as Premiere and after effects. I got the whole bundle for under 200 bones. But it has been a year so, there's probably better stuff now. Let me know if you have any questions.