A&P Camcorder question, Canon or Sony?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by asshole, Dec 27, 2009.

1. asshole

asshole dont eat yellow snow! OT Supporter

I have an opportunity to get a Canon Vixia HF21

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-...8106121712&skuId=9448289&st=9448289&cp=1&lp=1

or

a Sony
    HDR-CX100/B

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...9178695&ref=10&loc=Sunday Ad&id=1218046368285

Which would you get? The sony seems to be just as good except the 64GB internal memory and 24p cinema mode seem pretty cool on the canon .. but other than that I think the sony will do me just fine..

So I'm looking to you guys for some advise. What do you think for simple home movies and stuff like that? Do you guys think the canon would be overkill ??

Decisions... decisions... Help me make one.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I hate Sony's Memory card slots... so, Canon. :o

3. asshole

yeah i was thinking that too... msduo pro's arent all that. I have a miniDV sony that I got in 2000 that is still working great so thats why im even considering it and I got it for xmas... so i was going to take it back and the 8gb card and case I got and upgrade to the canon so thats where im at now... im pretty much sold on the canon I just wanted other peoples opinions.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Between those two, i'd take the Canon. I think Sony makes better camcorders in general though.

The canon has 64gb of internal memory that is expandable using cards. the Sony only has 8gb of internal memory that is expandable using cards too.

For those prices, i think you can find something better.

5. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

my cousin's husband bought a HD Canon, and I must say, that thing feels solid. I was impressed.

6. asshole

7. s14brent

s14brent Active Member

canon for 24p and ease of use with mac's.

8. asshole

Got any suggestions? I could always take this sony and all the goodies back and purchase anything. I just want the best I can get for the money.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

10. s14brent

s14brent Active Member

well....do you want flash media or a spinning hard disk? I'd go for flash anyday. also consider hard disks make the camcorders jump up in weight as well. What i don't like about sony is that they only stuff the high end xr line up with good features like sony's G wideangle lens, active stabilization, HOT SHOE, and low lux features. Canon is pretty good about spreading out their features so that theres a camcorder for everyone vs good, better, best.

11. asshole

both have flash memory not spinning hard drives ... I just dont know what to get... i dont need the best considering that would be thousands and I only have like 1k or preferably less to work with. I was just thinking about adding a few hundred to get the better camera. I'm swaying towards the canon still after all my comparing the options. and for 799 its not that bad then add in a 32GB class6 sdhc card for like 65 bux and thats some serious space

12. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Canon. Every thing Sony that I have every owned including a video camera and point and shoot broke after about a year.

13. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I'm 99.9% sure that the internal memory on both of those are hard drive based.

Personally I never filled up a 16GB memeory card, when shooting with only one video camera. Shooting straight for long periods of time to a point where you fill up a 16GB is going to boring as hell to watch afterward. I take about 30 second clips, stop the recording, change angle or location and shoot again for 30 sec...rinse repeat...then edit with Vegas.

14. Dan Martin

Dan Martin OT Supporter

That 0.1% of doubt will get you every time... both those cameras use flash memory, not hard drives, for their internal storage.

I vote for the Canon Vixia HF21 for what it's worth...

15. asshole

you are correct sir!

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...categoryid=269&modelid=19061#ModelFeaturesAct

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Consumer Products Home :: Support :: VIXIA HF21 VIXIA HF21 [​IMG]
    Be the first to write a review.

Dual Flash Memory Camcorder [​IMG] Item Code: 4060B001
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] function openTourWindow() { var buyNowLink = ' ' ; var indx = buyNowLink.indexOf("modelid"); if(indx != -1) { buyNowLink = buyNowLink.replace(/modelid/,19061); } var url="http://syndicate.sellpoint.net/Syndicate/SynMaster?Tentoe=BY4WEA-156945&ParentUrl=" + escape(window.location.href); url= url + "&vsr_price= &vsr_shopping_cart="+escape(buyNowLink); url += "&src=product_tour"; url += "&vsr_show_srp=false"; url = GetCampaignUrl(url); window.open(url,'_blank', 'width=536,height=525,scrollbars=no,toolbar=no,personalbar=no,statusbar=no,directories=no,location=no,resizable=no,menubar=no,locationbar=no'); return false; } document.writeln('[​IMG]'); [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    var isLoadingContent = true; var selectedTabId = null; var tabInfos = new Array(); // switch to determine whether to use dojo.undo.browser functionality var useDojoUndoBrowser = true; // Object to hold state of page conforms to DOJO requirements // to implement back/forward functionality TabState = function(tabId){ this.tabId = tabId; this.changeUrl=null; var bookmarkValue = tabInfos[tabId].bookMarkHash; if (bookmarkValue){ this.changeUrl = bookmarkValue; } this.isInitialTab=false; } TabState.prototype.back = function(){ // fix for bug while using IE. Initial state if doesn't have hash identifier // the back button to intial state takes the value from previous visited tab // reported : http://trac.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/3418 if (dojo.render.html.ie && this.isInitialTab && window.location.hash!=""){ // dojo.debug("Changing hash of initial state "+this.tabId); window.location.hash=this.changeUrl; } // dojo.debug("Back to "+this.tabId); this.showStateData(); } TabState.prototype.forward = function(){ // dojo.debug("Forward to "+this.tabId); this.showStateData(); } TabState.prototype.showStateData = function(){ updateTabInfo(this.tabId); isLoadingContent = true; displayContentUsingTabData(this.tabId); isLoadingContent = false; } // displayContentUsingTabData changes content of mainContentArea // using tabInfoX.data element // Useful when : 1- User already clicked on the tab and the data is already present // : 2- Used By dojo.undo.browser back/forward functionality function displayContentUsingTabData (tabId){ dojo.widget.byId("mainContentArea").setContent(tabInfos[tabId].data); var tabImg = dojo.byId("tabLink" + tabId); dojo.html.setStyle(tabImg, "cursor", null); } // creates state for given tab and adds it to dojo history function addTabToBrowserHistory(tabId){ if (!useDojoUndoBrowser) return; if (tabId == selectedTabId) return; // dojo.debug("Adding to browser History "+tabId); var state = new TabState(tabId); addToBrowserHistory(state); } function addToBrowserHistory(state){ dojo.undo.browser.addToHistory(state); } function getBookMarkHashId(){ return location.hash; } // creates state for given tab and makes it initial state function setTabAsInitialStateForBrowserHistory(tabId){ if (!useDojoUndoBrowser) return; // dojo.debug("Setting initial State "+tabId); var state = new TabState(tabId); state.isInitialTab=true; setInitialStateForBrowserHistory(state); } function setInitialStateForBrowserHistory(state){ dojo.undo.browser.setInitialState(state); } // finds the tabId of the tab having the same given // book mark hash value function indexOfTabBookMarked(bookMarkValue){ for (var i = 0; i < tabInfos.length; i++) { if (bookMarkValue==tabInfos.bookMarkHash){ return i; } } // default to first tab if the hash mark cannot be identified return 0; } // extracts book mark hash value from URL returns null if not found function getBookMarkIdFromUrl (){ var bookmarkId = getBookMarkHashId(); if (bookmarkId && bookmarkId.length>0){ // drop # from value bookmarkId = bookmarkId.substring(1, bookmarkId.length); return bookmarkId; } return null; } function changeSectionTitle(tabId) { if (tabId != null) { dojo.html.show('titleSection'); dojo.byId("sectionTitle").innerHTML = tabInfos[tabId].title; } } function removeCacheData() { if (selectedTabId != null) { tabInfos[selectedTabId].data = null; } } function tabOnMouseOver(img, tabId) { if (isLoadingContent) { dojo.html.setStyle(img, "cursor", "wait"); } else { dojo.html.setStyle(img, "cursor", (tabInfos[tabId].isSelected ? "default" : "hand")); } } function tabOnMouseOut(img, tabId) { dojo.html.setStyleText(img, null); } // Update the tab images and section title; function updateTabInfo(tabId) { // Update the section title changeSectionTitle(tabId); // Update the old tab images if (selectedTabId != null && tabInfos[selectedTabId].enabled) { var tabImg = dojo.byId("tabImg" + selectedTabId); tabImg.src = tabInfos[selectedTabId].imgOffSrc; if(selectedTabId == 5){ closeKBSession(); setSessionId(null); } } // Update the selected tab images tabImg = dojo.byId("tabImg" + tabId); tabImg.src = tabInfos[tabId].imgOnSrc; tabInfos[selectedTabId].isSelected = false; tabInfos[tabId].isSelected = true; selectedTabId = tabId; } function tabSelected(img, tabId) { if (tabId == selectedTabId) return; if (!isLoadingContent) { isLoadingContent = true; updateTabInfo(tabId); // if data is in the element cache ("data" property) use it if (tabInfos[tabId].data) { try { displayContentUsingTabData(tabId,img); isLoadingContent = false; } catch (error) { alert(typeof error == 'object' ? error.message : error); isLoadingContent = false; return; } } else { var tabLink = dojo.byId("tabLink" + tabId); dojo.html.setStyle(tabLink, "cursor", "wait"); dojo.widget.byId("mainContentArea").setContent("Loading ..."); dojo.io.queueBind({ url: tabInfos[tabId].url + "&ajax=y", method: "GET", mimetype: "text/html", preventCache: false, load: function(type, data, event) { try { // cache the content tabInfos[tabId].data = data; dojo.widget.byId("mainContentArea").setContent(data); for (var i = 0; i < tabInfos.length; i++) { var tabLink = dojo.byId("tabLink" + i); if (tabLink) { dojo.html.setStyleText(tabLink, null); dojo.html.setStyle(tabLink, "cursor", (i == selectedTabId ? "default" : "hand")); } } isLoadingContent = false; } catch (error) { alert(typeof error == 'object' ? error.message : error); isLoadingContent = false; return; } }, error: function(type, error) { isLoadingContent = false; return; } }); } } } /* For IE the history iframe is sometimes loaded from IE cache This loaded iframe has location with query parameters in it For initial state the iframe is created by DOJO with no query parameters (kind of a way to identify initial state). If initial state has query parameters this prevents the user to going to initial state later. For reference see dojo.js "iframeLoaded" function: var _261=this._getUrlQuery(_260.href); if(_261==null){ // this is not null because initial state has query parameter if(this.historyStack.length==1){ this.handleBackButton(); } This method fixes that condition by replacing iframe location */ function fixDojoHistoryIframeLocation(){ if (useDojoUndoBrowser && dojo.render.html.ie) { try{ var dojoIFrame=window.frames["djhistory"]; if (dojoIFrame && dojoIFrame.location){ var frameLocation = dojoIFrame.location.href; if (frameLocation.indexOf("?")>0){ // dojo.debug("Replaced Iframe location"); frameLocation=frameLocation.split("?")[0]; dojoIFrame.location.replace(frameLocation); } } }catch(e){} } } // if the URL contains hash value that means the user bookmarked // a page other than overview page. This function simply changes // to that tab. function changeTabForBookMarkHash(){ if (useDojoUndoBrowser){ var bookMark = getBookMarkIdFromUrl(); if (bookMark != null){ var indexOFBookMarkedTab = indexOfTabBookMarked(bookMark); if (indexOFBookMarkedTab != selectedTabId){ isLoadingContent=false; // dojo.debug("Changing data content on startup for "+indexOFBookMarkedTab); tabSelected(null,indexOFBookMarkedTab); } } } } function isBrowserCompatible() { if (dojo.render.html.opera) { return true; } else if (dojo.render.html.moz) { return true; } else if (dojo.render.html.safari) { return true; } else if (dojo.render.html.ie60 || dojo.render.html.ie70) { return true; } return false; } dojo.addOnUnload(function() { if(selectedTabId == 5){ closeKBSession(); } }); // Initialization dojo.addOnLoad(function() { var browserCompatible = isBrowserCompatible(); useDojoUndoBrowser = useDojoUndoBrowser && browserCompatible; if (browserCompatible) { fixDojoHistoryIframeLocation(); // Replace the href to javascript for (var i = 0; i < tabInfos.length; i++) { var anchor = dojo.byId("tabLink" + i); if (anchor) { anchor.href ="javascript:addTabToBrowserHistory("+i+");tabSelected(this, " + i + ");"; } if (tabInfos.isSelected) { selectedTabId = i; } } tabInfos[selectedTabId].data = dojo.byId("mainContentArea").innerHTML; changeTabForBookMarkHash(); setTabAsInitialStateForBrowserHistory(selectedTabId); } isLoadingContent = false; }); /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// // Load the external javascript function loadExternalJavaScript(scriptUrl) { var mainContentArea = dojo.byId("mainContentArea"); var script = document.createElement("SCRIPT"); script.setAttribute("language", "JavaScript"); script.setAttribute("src", scriptUrl); mainContentArea.appendChild(script); } var tabInfo0 = { title: "Overview" , url: "/consumer/controller?act=OverviewTabAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , emailUrl: "/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , bookMarkHash: "ModelDetailAct" , imgOnSrc: "/sys/images/tab_overvw_on.gif" , imgOffSrc: "/sys/images/tab_overvw_off.gif" , enabled: false , isSelected: false , data: null }; tabInfos.push(tabInfo0); [​IMG] var tabInfo1 = { title: "Features" , url: "/consumer/controller?act=ModelFeaturesTabAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , emailUrl: "/consumer/controller?act=ModelFeaturesAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , bookMarkHash: "ModelFeaturesAct" , imgOnSrc: "/sys/images/tab_features_on.gif" , imgOffSrc: "/sys/images/tab_features_off.gif" , enabled: true , isSelected: false , data: null }; tabInfos.push(tabInfo1); [​IMG] var tabInfo2 = { title: "Specifications" , url: "/consumer/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , emailUrl: "/consumer/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , bookMarkHash: "ModelTechSpecsAct" , imgOnSrc: "/sys/images/tab_specs_on.gif" , imgOffSrc: "/sys/images/tab_specs_off.gif" , enabled: true , isSelected: false , data: null }; tabInfos.push(tabInfo2); [​IMG] var tabInfo3 = { title: "What's in the Box" , url: "/consumer/controller?act=BoxContentsTabAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , emailUrl: "/consumer/controller?act=BoxContentsAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , bookMarkHash: "BoxContentsAct" , imgOnSrc: "/sys/images/tab_whats_in_box_on.gif" , imgOffSrc: "/sys/images/tab_whats_in_box_off.gif" , enabled: true , isSelected: false , data: null }; tabInfos.push(tabInfo3); [​IMG] var tabInfo4 = { title: "Supplies & Accessories" , url: "/consumer/controller?act=SNAModelSuppliesTabAct&fcategoryid=869&modelid=19061" , emailUrl: "/consumer/controller?act=SNAModelSuppliesAct&fcategoryid=869&modelid=19061" , bookMarkHash: "SNAModelSuppliesAct" , imgOnSrc: "/sys/images/tab_supplies_on.gif" , imgOffSrc: "/sys/images/tab_supplies_off.gif" , enabled: true , isSelected: false , data: null }; tabInfos.push(tabInfo4); [​IMG] var tabInfo5 = { title: "Support & Service" , url: "/consumer/controller?act=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , emailUrl: "/consumer/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=269&modelid=19061" , bookMarkHash: "SupportDetailAct" , imgOnSrc: "/sys/images/tab_support_on.gif" , imgOffSrc: "/sys/images/tab_support_off.gif" , enabled: true , isSelected: true , data: null }; tabInfos.push(tabInfo5); selectedTabId = 5; [​IMG] var tabInfo6 = { title: "Drivers & Downloads" , url: "/consumer/controller?act=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=369&modelid=19061" , emailUrl: "/consumer/controller?act=DownloadDetailAct&fcategoryid=369&modelid=19061" , bookMarkHash: "DownloadDetailAct" , imgOnSrc: "/sys/images/tab_downloads_on.gif" , imgOffSrc: "/sys/images/tab_downloads_off.gif" , enabled: true , isSelected: false , data: null }; tabInfos.push(tabInfo6); [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Features
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dual Flash Memory: 64GB internal flash drive & SDHC card slot
    [​IMG]
    Ultra-Sleek, Compact and Lightweight Design
    [​IMG]
    Genuine Canon 15x HD Video Lens
    [​IMG]
    Canon Exclusive: 3.89 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor
    [​IMG]
    Canon Exclusive: DIGIC DV III Image Processor
    [​IMG]
    1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
    [​IMG]
    24Mbps Recording
    [​IMG]
    Canon Exclusive: Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization
    [​IMG]
    Canon Exclusive: Instant AF (Auto Focus)
    [​IMG]
    Canon Exclusive: Genuine Canon Face Detection
    [​IMG]
    Advanced Auto Exposure System
    [​IMG]
    24p Cinema Mode & 30p Progressive Mode
    [​IMG]
    Canon Exclusive: 2.7" Multiangle Vivid Widescreen LCD
    [​IMG]
    Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe Terminal
    [​IMG]
    Advanced Video Snapshot Mode
    [​IMG]
    Night Scene Mode
    [​IMG]
    Compatible with Optional Waterproof Case
    [​IMG]
    Superb Shooting Control
    [​IMG]
    Optional Canon RA-V1 Remote Control Adapter
    [​IMG]
    Intelligent Lithium-ion Battery
    [​IMG]
    Built-in 3.3 Megapixel Digital Camera
    [​IMG]
    HDMI Terminal
    [​IMG]
    Microphone Terminal with Manual Audio Level Control
    [​IMG]
    Includes Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Software
    [​IMG]
    Additional Features
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dual Flash Memory: 64GB internal flash drive & SDHC card slot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]What makes the VIXIA HF21 stand out in the category of flash memory camcorders is its Dual Memory capability. You can capture video on the camcorder's internal 64GB flash memory as well as directly to an SDHC Memory Card.

Video recorded to the internal flash drive can also be copied onto a memory card which can then be inserted into your computer or HDTV's card reader slot for immediate viewing.

You can also use higher capacity memory cards to further increase the video storage of your VIXIA HF21.

Memory capacity MXP
    (app. 24Mbps) FXP
    (app. 17Mbps) XP+
    (app. 12Mbps) SP
    (app. 7Mbps) LP
    (app. 5Mbps) 2GB 10 min. 15 min. 20 min. 35 min. 45 min. 4GB 20 min. 30 min. 40 min. 1 hour
    10 min. 1 hour
    30 min. 8GB 40 min. 1 hour 1 hour
    25 min. 2 hours
    20 min. 3 hours 16GB 1 hour
    25 min. 2 hours
    5 min. 2 hours
    50 min. 4 hours
    45 min. 6 hours
    5 min. 32GB 2 hours
    55 min. 4 hours
    10 min. 5 hours
    45 min. 9 hours
    35 min. 12 hours
    15 min. 64GB* 5 hours
    55 min. 8 hours
    20 min. 11 hours
    30 min. 19 hours
    10 min. 24 hours
    30 min. * Size of built-in memory in VIXIA HF21. ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The advantages of flash memory go beyond the added recording time. You'll also appreciate the quick response time, because it doesn't have to wait for moving parts. Press the record button and your VIXIA HF21 starts recording video faster than you've ever seen before. In addition, when you review your footage, it will come up more quickly.

Another plus is the VIXIA HF21's low power consumption rate, allowing your battery to last longer. It's just what you need so you don't miss that pivotal play on the field or the moment when they say "I do."

While we certainly hope you keep your VIXIA HF21 securely in your hand while shooting, if it happens to slip, or you accidentally knock it against something, you'll be happy to know that flash memory makes your camcorder more shock-resistant than other recording storage systems. It also minimizes the chance of data loss due to damage to your recording media or to the moving parts found in other camcorders.

1920 x 1080 movie recording requires a Class 4 or higher memory card. For other recording formats, a Class 2 or higher card is recommended. Also, movie recording requires cards with 128MB of memory or more. Cards made by Toshiba, SanDisk or Panasonic are recommended. No particular restrictions apply for still images.

16. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Wife and I just picked up a CX100 last week and so far its very nice. I'm into SLR's not video or I'd have spent much more and got a canon, but we wanted to get some video of our little girl. Down the road I'll probably get a 7D or 5D2 or whatever's the next new toy so brand wasn't real important.

I watched youtube vids recorded with it and the picture looked good indoors and the price was right.