A&P Camcorder guru's...help me out (Canon XL2 vs. Canon XH-A1)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Genocide, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Genocide

Genocide Why does my W look like a peace sign?!

Hi everyone, let me just start out by saying that I will be using the camera for short films and indie type stuff. I'm a beginner but my cousin was one of the brightest prospects at his time at nyfa, so he's going to take me under his wing and teach me everything he knows, and we'll also be shooting together. Now that that's out of the way, I was talking to my cousin about which camera I should buy, and he said it's a really really tough choice.

The thing is I'm not sure if he understands how awesome the XH-A1 because he hasn't looked into camera's since he bought his two years ago. He said that the XL2 is awesome because you can change lenses, which could possibly give you an important shot that you couldn't get with the XH-A1, which brings up this question: Is the lens on the xh-a1 good enough to where we could get a good amount of the shots that we could get with the XL2 (with different lenses of course)? We're more about getting the right shot or right angle over shooting in HD, because we won't be shooting documentaries or shooting nature or anything like that, so HD is not required, however it would be absolutely AWESOME to shoot in HD.

Man on Fire is a good example of the kinda stuff that we want to do, not exactly like that of course (sorry just had to clear that up) but there are some EXCELLENT shots in Man on Fire that I'm talking about. I'm really not sure about exactly how powerful the XH-A1 is, which is mainly the point of this thread. I will be learning on this camera, but I have a great teacher so I'm not worried about that part. I want a camera that I'll be able to learn a lot from, and be able to do a lot with. First my cousin told me to go with the HD, but after thinking about it he was really really digging the interchangeable lenses, and the possibilities of what we could do with them. His final decision though was the XL2, he said "I think I would get the XL2 for the sake of art, because the point is to tell a story the best way you can, and using different lenses can better portray that sometimes." That's just his opinion though. What would you guys do in my situation?

Cliffs: Gonna be making short films along with my cousin, want unique shots, wondering if I should go HD and get the XH-A1 or get the XL2 "for the sake of art" (which allows me to change lenses)?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  2. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I don't know much about video cameras, but I personally would take the slightly lesser resolution and interchangeable lenses over high res

3. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

May I recommend the JVC HD100? Beautiful HD AND interchangeable lenses!

[​IMG]

If you must choose between those two, you should know that your film will be a much easier sell if you shoot in HD. Everything is just gravitating towards that now.

GL2 is a fine camera and offers true 24p (XHA1 kind of fakes it) with interchaneable lenses. However the xh a1 shoot awesome HD and you could always make an adapter for it to use a 35mm lense to acheive that shallow depth of field that is so important in movies.

And you can still buy stuff like telephoto or wide angle lenses for the xha1 to acheive different looks. The lenses available for the gl2 are going to run you about a grand a piece.

So my input is: GET THE XH-A1!!!

Sorry it was so late.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

5. Gomer

Gomer New Member

XL2 > XH-A1

I shot with multiple XL2s for quite a few years and it is hard to beat it's abilities overall when compared with a consumer end HD cam. Having shot with many GL2s also, the XH-A1 is essentially an HD GL2 with a few more goodies.

Why I hold the XL2 so high is why your cousin did as well. The interchangeable lens capability is something that gives your shots the ability to set it apart from many others, opening up many areas the XH-A1 can't go. The non-HD bit isn't horribly pertinent at this point in time, especially with the image quality the XL2 puts out. XL2 also gives you the ability to rack zoom, rack focus and truly is a Prosumer piece that allows you to jump to bigger cameras with the know how more so than the XH-A1.

6. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

The GL2 doesn't have interchangeable lenses and it isn't an HD camera. :ugh:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=172

7. aCab

aCab New Member

Why not XL H1? It's what I use here om Campus. Government money ftw.

8. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member