A&P [Camcorder Crew] Canon XL2

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by phatguy88, May 28, 2006.

1. phatguy88

phatguy88 OT Supporter

I'm thinking of buying the Canon XL2 but I hear the the stock lens is shit.. I can get the body for 2,300 maybe less, but I wanna know what's a good/ great lens for close ups.

-LENS-

I'm planning on only buying one high-quality lens instead of buy 2 or 3 mediocre ones... and rcommendations? Budget for the lens is around 500-1,600. (I want a lens that can create a a small depth of field without having to get far away with my subjects.) I want to be able to shoot from 4-9 feet away and have a shallow (blurry) background? THis is possible with the xl 2 and a good lens right?

-MONITOR-

I also want to buy a monitor, I heard the eyepiece viewfinder is big enough to make sure the shot is in focus when using the manual settings... I hate editing blurry footag [​IMG] Seeing as how all these expenses are going to put a major dent in my wallet... I was planning on getting a cheap lcd monitor around 3-6 inches? (Mountable) any recommendations?

-MIC-

I also planning on using an alternate means of recording audio. Aside from the built in mic. I was thinking about using wireless mics or just regular mics I can plug into the back and just use a gaffer... though wireless mics are much more convenient... I wonder if the quality is worse. Any one have experience with wireless mics?

Seeing as how I wanna make movies I don't really mind not having hd... but this camera become outdated anytime soon?

Thnx for your input..

2. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

i don't shoot video everyday but when i shot for the college news program we used some wireless lavalier mics mounted on the person and the sound was pretty good for my ears :dunno:

3. phatguy88

phatguy88 OT Supporter

thnx

4. Squally

Squally New Member

Well as far as the lens being shit goes, you are absolutely wrong, it's an amazing lens. The only way you are going to get a smaller DoF is if you get a 35mm adapter and some prime lenses, which is overrated imo, plus it gets expensive for a good adapter. On the other hand if you get the Canon EF adapter to use Canon lenses, you are screwed because it has a multiplication factor of 8.9x so you pretty much end up telephoto even if you are full wide. Getting a small DoF is really hard with digital if you want to be that close, but it can be done, for a price.

I have an XL2 and have gotten some great looking footage from it, so I'll stand by the camera, but it's not easy to use for one, you really have to know the settings, and it's a little pricey compared to a DVX.

5. phatguy88

phatguy88 OT Supporter

But if u had the choice to pick between the XL2 and the DVX which one would u pick?

6. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

I have no idea about any of this but it makes me glad I chose still photography as my hobby...this stuff is expensive

7. Squally

Squally New Member

Well obviously the XL2, cuz I bought it. The DVX is a great little camera, and gets some nice images out of the box, but I've just been able to work the XL2 to get better images than the DVX.

8. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

If you are going for more lenses than stock, I'd go with the XL2

I just sold my XL1s, it might be a while before I get back to shooting :hs:

9. Squally

Squally New Member

What are you doing nowadays that makes it so you can't get some shooting in?

10. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

startup company + writing a book :Ownedd::hs:

edit: on top of being an art director during the day :crying:

11. I want an xl1s but I'm too poor to afford one.