camaro + rain = accident

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bow2ak, Oct 17, 2004.

1. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

pics on page 5

so a typical night dropping a friend off home from saturday night out.. first time its rained in pasadena cali in about 100 days... i started driving my 98 camaro z28 6spd, it kept sliding around on surface streets which i am used to.. i got on the fwy and it was also sliding going straight without even any acceleration. i was in the second to right lane going about 55-60, when the back end started to give out, the back end gave out to the left, then the car turned itself the other way and spun twice and hit the driver front to the center divider at about 40 , and car stopped instantly causing both airbags to deploy.. i had a passenger in the car.. at that point i had no idea what was going on cause of the smoke, airbags and all that..
    at this point the car is facing toward traffic blocking the carpool and the lane next to it. got out of the car, fell to the floor cause of breathing and pressure. got up quickly, pushed the car to the side.. 911 of course wouldnt work on cell, getting a busy signal.. chp on a bike pulls up instantly and guides me off the fwy. i pull into a parking lot, he asks, did you get into contact with the other car? no. do you need a tow? no.. ok i gotta go the fwy is a hellhole, and he left.... dropped the car off at bros house down the street...

im bruised up and shaken up.. passenger is fine..

cliffs: spun on fwy, hit center divider.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  2. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz I love hot girls.

Sorry dude. The F150 in front of me on the 55 spun as well. Hit the side guardrail.

3. get better tires

4. Teh_Sponge

Teh_Sponge Hey, I got a sub now...

You = :Owned:

5. hay

hay New Member

what'd it feel like when the airbag went off? scars? pics?

6. Kalaman

Kalaman Guest

pics?

7. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

even if i had better tires, the rain that was going on today, and all the hydroplaning, i dont think it wouldve mattered

8. JizJizJiz

It was raining VERY hard in Orange County...I went from Anaheim Hills to Irvine...and had to keep it to 50 or under most of the way...and I'm used to driving in rain/snow since I am from Ohio! :o.

9. WTF kind of tires were you on?

BTW I bet it smelled like sulphur.

10. JizJizJiz

Normally I'd be making fun of this guy. But since I experienced it, I'm gonna say that this statement is quite true. At any speed above 55, I'd say it was an almost-guaranteed wipeout if you did the slightest bit of turning in a RWD car.

11. marcu5

marcu5 not worry friend. i do not grudge.

ibcali

12. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

as soon as it hit the divider, it was loud and powerful.. i just remember getting pushed back by the force of the airbag.. and the smoke filling the car. the entire dashboard came out... my wrist has cuts on it cause i was holding the steering wheel, and my chest is pretty bruised up. the car is at my bros house and will have pics up tomorrow

13. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

nope, he didnt even ask if i was ok.. he just asked those questions and booked

14. JizJizJiz

By any chance do you go to UCI?

15. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

nope .. long beach state

16. You californians are newbies when it comes to driving performance cars in the rain....

17. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

when it rains in socal everyone crashes :hs:

18. if your going slow how are you gonna hydroplaning? going 60 in hard rain on the highway when you already know your car is sliding around is just retarded.. you should of slowed down... anyways glad your safe..

with the better tires you will get better grip in the rain.. toyo t1s , bridgestone s03, pzeros..

19. JizJizJiz

Like I said, I'm from Northeastern Ohio (snows a good 5 months per year)...and I found tonight to be rather difficult in regards to driving :o.

20. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

when the car started sliding i slowed down, i let go of the gas didnt brake.. and there was nothing i couldve done to stop that spin

21. It is extemely hard to spin out a F-150 in the rain unless you are retarded...

22. since you live in newport .. (guessing your rich) i would consider taking a performance driving school.. teachin you how to get out of sticky situations and handlin the car better..

23. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

ive been driving this car for 3 years with no accidents at all.. dunno what happened todya

24. JizJizJiz

I guess he was...basically he started slipping a little, and he (retardedly) slammed the brakes. So I move to the extreme left lane as traffic was very minimal at 2:30 in the morning. I see him hit the guardrail...oops :-/.

Kinda felt bad for the guy.

25. No offense but I've been in more uncontrolled slides than I could ever count, if you let off the gas in time you should of been able to steer through it...