Camaro guys I got a question for ya

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Trooper, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Trooper

Trooper New Member

My uncel recentaly passedaway and i might inhearit his 1992 Z28 Camaro. He told me that is was the camaro that cheve toured with to all of the car show. Ive been doing some research but I cant fund much. form what I know its that Hawiaan Purple color, Auto matic, special edition wing, it has pin strype style graphis that look very blockish and go behind eachother. I have heard that Chevy was gona make 607 special edition cars but ended up only making one.

Do you guys know ware i can get for information on his car?

2. LiKuid

LiKuid New Member

First bit of advice: lern 2 spel

3. CJPA

CJPA New Member

The car Chevy was going to make ~~600 of was the 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition RS, it had a 300-horse 350 w/ a ZF-6 Speed, and it never got to production. And it was WHITE, w/ black stripes. 28,000$ MSRP in 1992 dollars was too fucking much for it to be produced.

Good god, man, learn to spell

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  4. Los

Los Active Member

The car is slow. Sorry about your uncle.

5. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

If it's the Z28 with the Auto, it's a 350 TPI motor. Actually a damn good motor, my girlfriend had a 305 TPI in her '91 Z28 with a 5-speed.

Not terribly quick in stock form, but a fun car. If you want to turn it into something a little quicker, a full exhaust, new rear gears (3.73's for your auto would be good), a shift kit, and some sticky rear tires are a great place to start. Those 3rd Gens are short on HP (about 240 or so) but LONG on torque (330+ lb. ft) :bigthumb:

6. Trooper

Trooper New Member

Thanks for the Help guys, and Im sorry about my earlier spelling. I was kind of dis-trot when I wrote that. The car is auto, It has a built vet transmission (or the transmission was build by a vet guy), K&N Intake system and a Flow Master cat back. it also has something like 20-25 thousand miles on it and its been garage kept its entire life. ill try and post up some pics soon.

7. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

Since it's a 700R4 tranny, the 'Vette part you're mentioning is probably the Corvette servo for the transmission. It firms up the 1-2 shift in the 700R4.

Check out www.thirdgen.org for a lot more people with full knowledge of the 3rd gen F-cars. They also have a VIN and RPO decoder that will be able to tell you all the equipment the car has in it.

8. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

And the tranny could have seen a full build up with the 'Vette servo too :dunno: The 700R4 from the 'Vette and F-bodies had different length tailshafts, so they aren't directly interchangeable.

9. Grand Master Z

Grand Master Z New Member

You got it. L98 Is what the motor is. It's real close in performance to the LT1 4th gens. An LT1 will edge out the L98 barely.

10. jonny_ringo74

jonny_ringo74 New Member

Purple makes it go faster...:greddy:

11. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Not really. The L98 has got some good torque, but the LT1 (even the all iron version in B-bodies) will put the smack on it every time, and it's not close either. One big reason is the L98s excessive runner legnth, wich makes great low end torque, but dramaticly robs power in the upper mid, and high rpm range. It also had a weaker cam, and heads. However because the L98 is much closer to the genaric SBC, performance parts are alot cheaper for it, than for the LT1, including heads, cam, and intake.

12. Grand Master Z

Grand Master Z New Member

That's because the L98 IS the old style 350 as opposed to the reverse flow LT1. In any case, LT1's are low 14 second cars, and the L98 IROC's are mid 14 second cars. I agree the LT1 is faster, I own one. It's just not THAT much faster.

13. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

yeah they can be a match for each other on the stop light drags, and the L98 is no joke, but the LT1 takes it on top end hands down thanks to it's short intake runner length. Also they are not that much differant from one another in terms of SBC design, but the reverse flow cooling, drops the combustion chamber temps nearly 70deg, and that allowed GM to get a little more compression out of the engine without detonation. Combine that with a more agressive cam, better heads and fuel delivery, and you definatly have a much better power curve alltogether.
    I have to disagree on the times. Though I know alot people run low 14s on the LT1 Z28s, I don't think that is related to the engine. When my 95 Z28 was pretty much stock, I was running 13.7s. I think the fact that I had the lighter hardtop, performance axle, and some years behind me helped alot. The LT1s had so much low end torque, it was easy to spin off the line. After converting the 95 to a 99 LS1, I can tell you it's much easier to launch. I guess thats the natural progression. L98 was great, LT1 was even better, and the LS1 is even better than that.