Calorie & macro ratio fluctuation

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Stilgar, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

Would there be any conceivable benefit to doing the following. Lets assume 3 on days, 4 off days.

Sunday - Off - 2000 cal - 30/30/40 (F/C/P)
    Monday - On - 2500 cal - 20/30/50 (F/C/P)
    Tuesday - Off - 2000 cal - 30/30/40 (F/C/P)
    Wednesday - Off - 1500 cal - 20/10/70 (F/C/P)
    Thursday - On - 2500 cal - 20/40/40 (F/C/P)
    Friday - Off - 2000 cal - 30/30/40 (F/C/P)
    Saturday - On - 3000 cal - 20/40/40 (F/C/P)

The actual calorie numbers are arbitrary. My point is can there be any conceivable benefit from altering the calorie intake / macro nutrient ratios by quite large amounts from day to day?

Say dropping from 3000 on Sat --> 2000 on Sun is a 33% decrease in calorie over one day. Or increasing from 1500 on Wed --> 2500 on Thur is a 66% increase.

Also, Wed being an off day and cutting carbs to 10%, then increasing them to 40% on Thu (on day) - could there be any benefit?

I have read articles about "shocking" the body and having high carb days (such as the 40 days) and having extremely low carb days (10) as a method of "rebooting" the metabolism.

Beyond that, I've also read that fluctuating cals from day-to-day or week-to-week by large amounts (500 cal at the least) can also serve to keep the body in a "guessing" mode, so that it never really gets comfortable or "settles".

So, OTFN, am I reading bullshit articles and hearing bullshit advice? Is this sort of thing only really beneficial on a cut? Does it serve better to maintain consistent calories when not cutting or when cutting? I'm not sure how this would benefit bulking at all (remember, cal numbers above are arbitrary - adjust for your needs).

:wavey:

EDIT: Or would it be more beneficial to maintain a consistent calorie intake for 4 or 5 days of the week, and then suddenly dropping or increasing by up to 50-70% cals / changing nutrient ratios to favour a super high carb then super low carb (with fat remaining semi constant therefore changing protein) for just 1 or 2 days in the week?

EG Mon - Fri = 2500, Sat = 1500 (10% carb), Sun = 3000-3300 (50%-70% carb) ?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

GIANT WALL OF TEXT

zig zag diet works for a lot of people...I prefer to watch my grams to bodyweight ratio rather than doing all the math you did. I do two to three days same ratios, then on an off day I drop to a low carb day.

3. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

soz :mamoru:

And this doesn't hamper lifting gains? That is good to hear.

4. edo123

edo123 New Member

not be be mean or anything, but why cant people just fucking do whats been proven to work. Is it really that hard to eat 40/40/20 (P/C/F) or 40/30/30 (P/C/F) under your maintenance (when cutting) or over (when bulking)? Its been proven to work to get to at least 10% bf and most likely while cutting your strength will still go up.

Most people who make threads like these have been dieting for 1 week and feel like they need to change every week.

Just follow Purs diet, every person whose been on it has seen changes, so why fuck with what works?

5. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

Dawg, I'm trying to gain weight. And other people seem to have had fluctuating their diet and intake work.

6. edo123

edo123 New Member

the people who have success fluctuating their diet are most likely either trying to get to super low bf, or have been working out for years and know their body well. So how well does your body respond to carbs?

Your making this shit way too difficult for youself. Are you really going to spend time everyday calculating different carbs amounts? Your trying to gain weight so why not just do something proven to work. Eating carbs will make you grow.

Every person who starts out should just follow the sticky instead of looking for a miracle program or diet.

7. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

I haven't just started, and I'm not looking for a miracle program. Please don't spout that tired rhetoric to me.

I was simply asking for OTHER PEOPLE's experiences with doing something like this.

And I already calculate my macro nutrient ratios for each day ;) I take care of my diet.

8. edo123

edo123 New Member

well i assumed that since your the one making the topic your thinking about carb cycling.

And by starting out i mean someone whose been lifting and dieting correctly on the same program for less than 6 months or even a year.

So i suggest just stay on your current program for another 6 months then reassess. If you feel your not getting bigger just intake more calories.

9. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

I was thinking about it, yes, but before starting I figured I'd do research. Seeing as it seems not many people on here do it, I'll have to look elsewhere.

I've already read a wealth of articles about it, but articles rarely (if ever) tell the full story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.