calorie intake suggestions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Candy3s, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy3s

Candy3s OT Supporter

Im trying to cut my body fat%, and build some muslce but not a huge amount (i tend to build too manly for my taste so i would rather just stay lean) so what do you guys think i should do with my diet. the last week ive been working out daily.. mostly cardio and a little bit of lifting. and eating mainly fruits and veggies and 1 meal of chicken or tuny usually a day. my calorie intake has been around 1200 at the most but i dont think its low enough. suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

are you a bitch or a dude

3. Candy3s

Candy3s OT Supporter

a bitch :)

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

+1.

If you are a dude and think 1200 calories are too much, and you still expect to put on muscle while cutting at those caloric numbers you need to be pulled into a secret room and beaten.

If you are a girl, I will still recommend going absolutely no lower than your 1200 calories and even perhaps to about 1500 calories in order to have "some" energy to work for you when you are doing cardio. Doing cardio with no fuel to burn can be rather unhealthy if you are not regulating yourself properly.
    Also, while fruits are excellent for you, they are very high in sugar and should be kept to a relative minimum during the cutting process. If you are going to eat them, make sure you do so in the morning, or anytime prior to your workout so you can burn the sugars off... Eating fruits late at night prior to bed while cutting is a no-no IMHO.

5. Candy3s

Candy3s OT Supporter

so stick to mostly veggies? and if I raise my calorie intake what kind of foods should I be eating, I really try to lean away from carbs.

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

ah, forget the first part of my post then :)

7. Candy3s

Candy3s OT Supporter

and what about protien? I hear you guys all talking about protien shakes and bars and whey and stuff but it seems like thats mostly to bulk up, am i wrong?

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Well since you are cutting but still want to build a bit of lean muscle you are going to want a decent amount of protein in your body. Stick with lean proteins such as chicken, certain fish, lean red-meats, etc... and try and replace some of those fruits with more veggies and less-starch dense carbs such as whole-wheat/whole grain breads, brown rice, whole grain pasta's etc... but keep the carbs to a conservative portion.

As for the fruits, I am not saying not to eat them. Fruits are excellent for your body and aide in the cutting process because when your calories are down your body is forced to look to other sources to burn for fuel such as stored fat and sugars, etc... So taking in moderate sugars is actually good for you. However, sugar is best used when burned relatively soon after intake. So when you do eat fruit make sure you eat it in the morning, prior to a workout, etc... So you are certain a majority of it is being burned... As opposed to eating fruits before bed which allows it to sit, mostly unburned and turn into fat.

9. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

eh, someone else might be able to shed more light on this, but being that you are girl and not looking to bulk or focusing on strength I think that you can EASILY get the proteins you need just from food alone. One chicken breast already has 23g, and a packet of tuna has 26g, etc.... Just keep some lean protiens in your diet and you should be more than fine protein wise.

But, just to clarify... Protein is not just for bulking up. Protein is essential in the process of your muscles repairing themselves, etc... Even people that want a lean body but lift could benefit from protein. But protein intake is often regulated in proportion to your body weight, and seeing that you are a girl, again, you can get all the protein you need and then-some just from a decent diet.

10. Candy3s

Candy3s OT Supporter

makes sense. so about the protiens where should i like to get that.. should i do a shake or something?

11. lif

lif New Member

12. Candy3s

Candy3s OT Supporter

?

13. lif

lif New Member

NM. When i read this i thought you were a guy :o

14. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

shake, tuna, chicken, steak, etc.

Thread Status: