Calorie intake question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by einhander, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

Based on this calculator, I should be ingesting about 2200 calories a day. (My goal is fat loss.)
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

I workout 4 days a week, 2 days on - 1 day off - 2 on - 2 off. On those 4 days, I am doing cardio on the bike for an hour before breakfast. In the evenings, I'm in the gym for 60-90 minutes.

In addition to this, I am doing work around the house (unemployed at the moment). Right now I'm doing some landscaping which requires me to dig up dirt and move it to other parts of the yard. I'm doing this for a few hours a day and I'm sure I'm buring calories there.

My question is, do I need to ingest additional calories to make up for this so that I prevent my body from going into starvation mode?

I'll just use easy numbers in this example:
    If I ingest 2000 calories, but burn off 1000 calories, my net intake is 1000 calories. 1000 is obviously too low.

2. PianoProdigy

PianoProdigy Better than most at most things OT Supporter

Doing cardio before eating is a bad idea. You've already been sleeping for 6-8 hours while your body has been "starving" then you're going to go out and exercise on an empty stomach. Your body catabolize muscle before it goes for your fat. Get some oats (or another complex carb) before you exercise.

You should be 500 calories below maintenance, IMO. If you need 2200 daily without exercise and you do enough exercise to burn 1,000 calories (which I doubt) then yes, you should be intaking 2700 calories daily.

I know the handheld bodyfat measurement machines aren't the most accurate things in the world; however, I always take my measurements at about the same time so it's as accurate as it can be and I'm definitely seeing results. I've lost a solid 3% bodyfat (10.5% to 7.5%) by eating 500 calories below maintenance and lifting with occasional cardio over the last 3.5 weeks. I'm definitely not 7.5% body fat, more like 12. From what I can tell, the handheld machine is 4.5% off on average. I did a "pinch" test with calipers and read 15% when the machine showed 10.5%.

3. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. I'll up my calorie intake slightly.

Oh, the burning 1000 calories thing was just to make the math easy. Not actual measurements.

4. PianoProdigy

Yah, if you're on the bike for an hour, lifting for 90 minutes with moderate intensity AND working out in the yard for several hours then you'd prob burn 1,000 calories, but you have to work pretty hard to do it.

What's your current weight, height and BF%?

5. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

5'10", 182 lbs, BF% - don't know, but it's high. I'm a fatty. :wtc:

Was in decent shape about 5 years ago, but then I started my first job and it all went downhill. Unemployed at the moment, so I'm taking advantage of the time by getting back in shape.

The calorie calculator said to take in 2200 calories a day (with exercise already calculated in). I've been in at around 2000 (5 meals a day). So I'll tweak my diet around and see where I get the best results.

As for cardio before eating, I'll try eating first and see if I get better results. Should I eat some oatmeal, do my cardio, then a smaller breakfast immediately after?

6. Reign

Reign Banned

It can't be that high. I'm 5'5'' 183 and like 17% right now.

7. PianoProdigy

Protein after - either egg whites or a shake

I suspect you are where I was just over 2 years ago. I was 184 lbs, 36" waist, no real muscle to speak of. I started going to the gym and lost about 10 lbs on the scale and gained some muscle and was a 34" waist after probably a year or so of semi-committed lifting with a yo-yo diet. I slowly lost a bit more weight but was still right around 170 lbs; so in June and July of 2007, I followed a strict diet (low fat/500 calories under maintenance) and lifted regularly and slimmed down to a 32" waist and was around 160 lbs by August (the stress from the bar exam helped too, I'm sure). I then fell off the proverbial wagon when it came to diet but was lifting heavier and gained more muscle over the next few months. I had been stagnant for quite a while at around 15% body fat and just recently went back to a strict diet and am seeing great results.

My advice:

1. Make sure you're lifting - obviously there are good programs and not-so-good programs, but if you're in there moving weight (preferably 8-10 reps to where you fail at 10, IMO), you should make progress and build some muscle. Lifting is much more important than cardio so if you're going to neglect one, make it the cardio.

2. Stay around 500 calories under maintenance. At least try it consistently for two weeks. Take measurements in several areas (hips, waist, chest, ass, etc) and note progress. Adjust accordingly. I also try to generally keep my diet high in protein (around 200g daily) while low in fat. I don't avoid carbs but I try to keep them moderate.

2 years ago:

[​IMG]

A month ago (look about the same with a shirt on now but definitely am seeing more definition for beach season):

[​IMG]

8. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

PianoProdigy, thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I was weight training before my last job, so that part is not new to me. But this is my first time I'm doing it while paying strict attention to my diet.

Reign, my body fat percentage isn't ridiculously high, but it's obviously higher than I would like. I've lost about 15 pounds so far over the past 3 months, so it's gone down a bit.

Unfortunately, I've been through this before (losing a lot of weight - went from 185 to 165 several years ago). Made a lot of newbie mistakes back then and I want to make sure I do it right this time.

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

For the last 8 years I did my workouts first thing in the morning without eating. IMO at least, total calories and getting enough of certain macros (specifically protein) is more important than nutrient timing. The more advanced you get or the leaner you get than getting everything in order does matter more. And many bodybuilders actually still subscribe to fasted cardio...and do so succesfully. Not saying that they're right either.

10. C.C. Baxter

C.C. Baxter Guest

cardio before eating is the best thing you can do for fat burn.

11. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

I've read arguments for both sides many times over. For the past 3 months, I've always done my cardio pre-breakfast. Not necessarily because I believed either side, but because I found it more convenient that way. I prefer to be on the bike without anything in my stomach.

However, I'm willing to try eating first, then cardio and see how that works.

In the end, just doing the cardio work is more important than when it is done.

12. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Exactly.

13. PianoProdigy

You certainly would know much better than me, and I definitely agree that nutrient timing is perhaps overhyped. Bottom line is that each person has to see what works for him. Unfortunately, it is so difficult to have the discipline and patience to establish a control to really pinpoint what change (or lack of) is helping the most.

14. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

Personally, I don't like doing fasted cardio just because I end up not being able to push myself as much. It all depends though. On a low intensity cardio day (like, putting the treadmill on highest incline and walking), I'll do fasted. But if i do HIIT or run after i wake up, I'll at least have a PB on one slice of white about an hour before.

Then again, I'm by no means advanced. I just do what seems best for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.