Calling the power of all home theater guru's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RiCePiCkR, May 3, 2006.

1. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

i just got quoted for a home theater system and i wanted to see what you guys think. i'm a home theater newbie so help is appreciated in making this decision! thanks guys!

[​IMG]

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Doesn't seem too bad, but why is the discount price on the dvd player almost 3 times more than the list price? Also, thats a cheap price for a screen, what size is it?

Also, go with the Harmony 880. rechargable batteries, and color lcd ftw.

Never heard of Proficient speakers..have any specs on them?

What about other labor costs? ~$200 seems very cheap to install a projector, conceal cables, install screen and speakers.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if it was me id be getting better speakers :dunno: id re ratio and spend a little less on a projector (actually if it was me id probably be going tv, unless u already have a tv room then go for it or u never watch tv)

500 dollar dvd player aye? sounds like a bit much

looks like they fucked that number up cuz msrp=150

u should be getting atleast a 1920 or better

4. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

thanks for th reply...

haha i saw the dvd player too.. i think it's a typo. but i'm calling my guy later to make sure.

the screen i believe is somewhere around 102". my room is around 14x16.

here are the specs on the speakers...

C870
    The C870 is our flagship LCR ceiling speaker and is designed for larger theater rooms and high-end systems. They Feature an 8" Kevlar woofer, 1" aluminum dome pivoting tweeter and 175 watt power handling. Plus, you can tailor bass and treble up or down thanks to front-mounted contour switches. The C870 speakers will look good and sound great for years to come.

Design:
    2-Way LCR in-ceiling
    Tweeter:
    Pivoting 1” Aluminum Dome
    Contour Switches:
    +3dB Bass and +3dB Treble
    Woofer:
    8” Kevlar woofer Fixed at a 15° angle with Butyl surround
    Sensitivity:
    92dB
    Frequency Response:
    32Hz-21kHz
    Impedance:

Power Handling:
    5-175Watts
    Speaker Dimensions:
    Diameter 11 ½” X Depth 5 ⅞”
    Cut-Out Diameter:
    10 ¼”

we just bought a house and the hometheater room came pre-wired.

i'm not sure about the projector and the receiver though... i think they are overpriced? maybe?

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hm its hard to say how good those speakers will be as ive never heard them, heard of them, seen them reviewed etc and in walls generally arent as good as the self contained floorstanders etc

ur getting a decent price on receiver

dunno about projector

6. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

thanks. the people who built our house prewired so the speakers would be in wall. so thats a bummer....

do you recommend any other receivers? i've never heard of the brand before? how does it compare to denon or harmon kardon?

yeah... i'm thinking about dealing for a different projector.

thanks for your help

7. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

You are getting a good deal on the Marantz assuming it is from an authorized dealer. It uses toroidal transformers, I would perfer it to any other similar priced Denon, HK, etc.

Is this for a dedicated room? Or just in your living room?

I agree with Ronin regarding the in-wall/in-ceiling speakers.

8. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

the set up is for a dedicated room.

this is how they pre-wired the room.
    [​IMG]

view from the front of the room
    [​IMG]

the yellow dots represent where the wires are located. there are 7 of them on top of the ceiling and one in the center there... 7 for speakers and 1 for the projector. but i think i'm going with a 5.1 instead because the room is pretty small.
    [​IMG]

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

thats awesome how u have a theater room

10. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

I have never heard of Proficient, but I did a search on avsforum.com, and there are people who say they're alright.

Here's a quote from somebody who owns them from that forum:

I recently installed a pair of Proficient's W680 in-walls for surround duty in a secondary TV area. Long story, but I had been looking for a source to purchase some of Proficient's other speakers (I really wanted either IW550's or W690's) - but purchased the W680's when I ran into good deal on a pair. (I became interested in Proficient's products after reading that they are basically Speakercraft's 'installer' line and share similar components.)

Anyway, these are my first in-walls and I was prepared to be less than impressed. Fortunately, they worked out much better than I anticipated and I am very pleased with them (especially given what I paid).

11. SilverJettaGLX

:werd:

Do you have a set budget you are trying to stay within?

I still would say to ditch the in-wall/in-ceilings and get full range speakers for at least the front sound stage. Also Id recommend you at least listen to the speakers before you buy.

Also you will probably be better off with a sub from HSU/SVS/Outlaw Audio, etc internet brands

http://www.hsuresearch.com/
    http://www.svsound.com/
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/

12. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

excellent!

13. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

thanks for the recommendations... i'll be sure and see if i can listen to the speakers beforehand... i guess i'm just trying to stay under 8g's...

14. SilverJettaGLX

Have you gotten quotes from any other shops?

15. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

no sir, there aren't a lot of people who do ht in oklahoma. i don't even want to bother with best buy.

so far it looks like i'm upgrading the remote to the 880, changing to the projector to a sanyo plv-z4, and downgrading the dvd player (for future hd, or blu-ray). he's suppose to quote me tonight. hopefully it'll be a good deal!

16. SilverJettaGLX

:bigthumb:

17. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

If you are going with in wall speakers, the JAMES Speakers are amazing. I have a very critical ear for speaker evaluation and the in walls were easily every bit as good as their floor standing speakers. Triad in walls are also a staple in the high-end HT market. Don't be so quick to bash in wall speakers. I personally have never used them, but have heard them installed and was very impressed.

Great room you have there, but you have quite a bit of work ahead of you to get control of the acoustics in there. You need to reduce the reflections (acoustical absorption) at ear level and below, and need diffusivity above ear level. I would highly recommend you spend some quality time reading the forums at http://www.avsforum.com and you'll find the construction forums here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Good luck and you're well on your way to a real HT!

18. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Another point in speaker selection is timbre matching. Make sure you're buying the same size/quality of drivers in all of your speakers (except sub). Don't buy 6.5" midrange for the front or just the center, then 4.5" in the back. Be consistent with speaker tonality and your sound will envelop you without distraction.

Another recommendation would be to get several quote for the same hardware from different suppliers. Make the vendor be competitive. Competition is healthy and ultimately benefits YOU! Can you get a better screen/projector for the same price? (don't know, just asking) Be an informed consumer. Spend some time on the AVS forums and you'll be in a better position to get what YOU want, not just what that vendor sells.

One last thought -- You can take speakers that cost $100k and put them in an untreated (acoustically treated) room and they will sound horrible. If you don't treat the room correctly, the sound quality will be sub-par. Go visit some home theater stores and look at their theaters - what do you notice in the room? Make sure and get references of other HT's they have installed and request to check them out. A reputable dealer won't have an issue with providing this. Also make sure that they are going to ISF calibrate that new projector, by an ISF qualified technician. A projector out the box is only half way ready to be watched.

Hope this is helpful. I don't want you to get screwed.

19. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Don't know those speakers at all (I'm not well versed in inwalls) but why are you going with inceiling speakers? I'd rather have standing speakers for a lot of reasons, one being the number of choices and ease of replacing them if you want something else.

Also as someone else mentioned I think you should really shop around for your receiver more and possibly spend less on that and more on your speakers. That will make the biggest difference in improving your sound and it's a better way to proportion your money.

And as mentioned make sure your room is good to your sound, room treatments can be the single biggest improvement.

Also for the price of that sub I'd look at SVS or HSU.

20. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

thanks for all your advice. i'll take them into consideration... the only problem i have is that there's only a number of ht installers in oklahoma, so i'm basically on my own in trying to get a good deal.

i'll keep you guys updated!

21. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

like i said the house was already pre-built for in walls and i don't really want to mess around on trying to change that.

and i'll be sure to check out the subs... thanks for the advice.

22. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Sorry, I missed that. How is it prebuilt for that, wiring already installed? Holes in the ceiling? Because I'd still err on the side of not going with inwall speakers. Either way, some of the other big brands of speakers which are popular with many have inwall speakers (I know Axiom just started a line) but there are no doubt other options.

23. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

That sounds like a good plan. The single most important thing is that you feel comfortable with the retailer/installer, and are confident that they will provide good customer service before, during, and after the install. You want to know that when something goes wrong (and it will) that they are there to get things fixed asap.

Do not try and substitute products that your installer doesn't carry into the system. This will reduce the profit margin for the job and piss off the installer.

24. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I don't see any big holes in your walls that would force you to go for in-wall speakers. Those little breakout boxes can easily be patched. You can still run floorstanding speakers using the in-wall wiring too, that way you don't see any cables. I know all of us are being stubborn about this with you, but I see the unanimous feeling towards going with floorstanders as a sign. Just my opinion.

25. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Also, what kind of RCA's are you getting? $12/per is pretty cheap, and I might be concerned about the build quality, etc.