CALLING PC PROS! How can I get CD ROM to read & run a CD if WINDOWS XP won't load?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GRocks10, Oct 12, 2005.

1. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to fix a computer for a good friend.. recently, when the computer is turned on and it goes through loading Windows XP home edition, the Windows XP screen pops up.. once it finishes doing that, a BLUE SCREEN comes up saying:

STOP: C0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image USERENV.dll is Possibly Corrupt. The header checksum does not match the Computed checksum.

It stays like that and will not do anything at all.

Question:

I pressed F8 and tried to get the computer to run in Safemode, tried every other option without any success whatsoever. We went out and bought a new Windows XP installation CD since we can't find the old one. I want to either A. Replace all the old files with the new files without having to reinstall the whole computer and lose all the important files or B. If we can't do that, reinstall everything by returning the computer to factory.. here is the problem:

When I put the Windows XP cd in.. it will read the CD for alittle bit and then NOTHING will happen! The BLUE screen comes on again with the usual error.

So heres what I need to figure out.. HOW can I get the CD ROM drive to read the CD before it goes into the blue screen? IS there ANYTHING I can do? Usually, the windows CD will automatically run the CD and the recovery prompt will come on but this computer will not even do that.

If anybody has a solution, I would love to hear it. Thanks for any help!!

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Just boot from the CD? :dunno:

3. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

I would do that but it won't even load the CD.. it'll read it for a few seconds and then just continue on to loading the Windows XP screen and finally the blue screen with the error message popping up. Anyway to load the CD rom drive once the computer turns on? Can't seem to find this option when I press F8 and load the options for safemode, etc... none of those options seem to work except for that damn blue screen with error!

Basically, my question is.. how do I boot the CD once the pc starts? Thanks

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Go into the BIOS when it starts up (press Del or F2, maybe F10, there should be instructions on the boot screen) and set it up to boot from the CD.

5. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

Thank you! Will look into it once I use their computer ( probably tomorrow ).

Thanks for the help! I'll report back when I get a chance with any updates.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If its a Dell, you can hit F12 during the memory test and it'll let you choose your boot device without having to change the boot order in the BIOS.

7. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

Didn't take a look at the time if it was a Dell but I believe it is not.. if anything, I believe its a Compaq. I will take note to what you listed though. :) Thank you

8. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

If it uses AMIBIOS it's also F12...

I've dealt with AMIBIOS based systems from HP/Compaq, Alienware, as well as boards from Asus/ASRock. Still much prefer Award, much more user friendly. But we all know that the AMI Color BIOS from the 486 days was by far the best.

9. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

Hey, thanks alot for your help! F10 got it to boot into recovery.. got it fixed without even needing to use the Windows XP cd and reinstall.. instead what I did was copy and replace all the files with fresh new ones and wam! Everything working good again with nothing being deleted.

:)

10. kendan

kendan New Member

i have kind of the same problem. Windows won't load and I also get the blue screen, it says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. or sometimes it'll say process1_initialization_failed. sometimes the windows screen will come up as loading but then it'll go to the blue screen. OR sometimes it'll go regular on startup but it will say loading pbr for descriptor 1.....done then it will say disk read error.