Calling on the Power of C&P Crew v need a cable

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Frequency, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Frequency

Frequency New Member

I help out and run the timing system for swim meets @ a local high school.

What I need is a cable to run from the timing system to the printer we use, only problem is the timing system has a parallel port out for printing and the printer only has USB in.
    I need a way to marry the 2, so far my searches have come up empty

CLIFFS ** need a cable to connect Parallel Printer port to a USB printer

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they make IEEE1284 > USB cables. Buy one.

3. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

just buy a new printer

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

if i came in here asking you guys to tell me to buy a new printer you would of nailed the post on your first try. But no i asked of any one know of a cable, buying a new printer is a last resort option

5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Don't believe I took you off my IL to see if you contributed something useful.
    If i could find the cable i needed i wouldn't be here posting.
    Everything I have found so far goes from USB port on the PC to parallel port on the printer. I need it the other way around, parallel port on the PC to USB on the printer

6. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

Buying new equipment should always be the first option. Have you seen some of the new printers that are available these days?? You can get a printer/scanner/fax/copy machine for like $100....some cables cost that much.

7. Frequency

Frequency New Member

The printer is a 6 month old laser, thats the only thing it needs to be, we aren't scanning, faxing or copying meet results, it was purchased to be run with the meet manger software when the old one died. When a new one was purchased the purchaser didn't realize it only had a USB interface and no parallel port. And now getting things setup for the new year I am only seeing the mistake made 6 months ago now.

If i have to I will tell them they need a new printer in order to do what they want. The first thing they asked me to do was see if there was a cable available. if I find a cable and its too much I will tell them it is more cos effective to get a new printer. I looked and came up empty handed how hard is it to not post in this thread if you don't know of a cable, or if you know for certain there isn't one available.

8. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

oh calm down....don't get your panties all in a wad

FINE Mr. Can't take a joke......call radio shack and ask them.

9. Frequency

Frequency New Member

If I want a joke I'll turn on comedy central

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Oh, they don't make that. If it's on a network, some companies (such as linksys) have a device that may be of use. (would need to be able to install the driver on the client machine, however)

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm going to guess that a printer cable isn't going to solve your problem. how do you know that your timing system is even capable with the new printer?

in theory, you could pick up everything you need from radio shack/walmart. get a printer cable (male to female, i believe), then a usb to parallel converter, then a usb converter that would allow it to fit into the new printer
    but i doubt it's going to work. usually specialized equipment will rarely work with new components and your suck trying to find an old component or get all new equipment all together

13. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

RAWR....ok bitch boy
    :hsd:

14. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

I second this. A cable is not likely to solve your problems. There's a reason why we have four ancient dot matrix printers in a closet ... ancient legacy app written in fortran that only knows how to speak to one printer driver. Easier to hang onto some crappy printers than hunt down the/a fortran programmer to modify the program. Specialized systems (such as one is sounds like you are dealing with) are notorious for being married to antiquated technologies. Our sprinkler system is run by modem pools, for christ's sake.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I know for certain that there is no such cable. What you need is a cable with an inline data converter, and parallel ports are not designed to have inline data converters hooked up to them. What you'd have to use is something that can pretend to be a printer, when it's actually sending the printer data down the line to the real printer. In other words, you'd need a print server. Those usually cost about $100.

You're better off buying a USB card for the computer. If it's a laptop, you'll need a PCMCIA card instead of a PCI card.

16. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Took you 2 whole minutes to find the wrong cable congrats, only took me 30 secs to find the wrong cable
    It would of been a crap shoot but i figure if i could find the cable i'll then worry about finding linux drivers for the printer, was doing baby steps

Thanks
    Cable does not exists and tech reasons behind it THANK YOU
    The computer isn't really a computer, its a timing system, and they are a little iffy in letting me crack open a $5000 machine to see its guts

I'll just talk them into a new printer, thanks for your help

17. Doc Brown

I linked a printer cable to usb cable.

Nobody said it was going to work, and like Deus said, it probably won't.

18. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

If you read his posts before yours, you'll see that the cable you posted is the wrong concept. It's for connecting a USB port on a computer to an IEEE printer. He needs a cable for a computer WITHOUT a USB port (but has a 25 pin) to connect to a USB printer.

19. deusexaethera

I can't tell whether this is the worst help me thread ever, or the most productive pissing contest ever. Because the issue did ultimately get resolved.

20. Doc Brown

The second one on the link I posted was DB25 to usb.

21. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I have found that when asking others for help, it is generally beneficial to not be a douche, especially to those who actually tried to help. But that's just me.

22. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I like how you come in asking for help and then every bit of help someone offers you bitch about.

23. deusexaethera

DB25 is used for parallel and serial.

Either way, the communication protocol for USB is different than for serial or parallel, which is why cables that connect one to the other have to have a converter in the middle.