calling all mac enthusiasts... PROVE IT!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nashstradamus, Apr 21, 2005.

1. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

I have to write a research paper for my 300 level Management Information Systems class and the topic that I chose to write about is: Mac Advantages over PC, A New Users Perspective". Personally, I know tons of reasons why my Powerbook is better than any PC I've used in my life, but my opinion means squat in a reaserch paper. What I am asking you is, what makes the Mac better and where is the data and information to prove it? I need to back up my opinion with actual facts as to why the Mac is an overall better computer than any PC. Post websites, books, quotes, anything that would support my topic. I'm writing this paper to inform all the die hard PC fanatics in my class, that there are better things out there.

Anyone who goes out of their way to type a response let me thank you ahead of time! I'll be checking this thread very often so any help is appreciated!

2. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

good luck with that since you picked a topic which is really based 100% on opinion. There isn't any way to measure what makes a computer "easier" or "better" for everyone, it is just a personal choice based on what a person does with their computer and their preferance.

3. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

no i can still prove my opinions by backing them up with facts, i just am looking for studies, articles that will support my idea that mac is better for most people

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

a bit bias, but i think apple's website has some stuff about it

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

6. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

(1) you've picked an opinion topic, not something that is factual
    (2) do your own homework

7. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Jenna Jameson's School of the "Performing Arts"
  8. BeniBoi09

BeniBoi09 New Member

Search up on how many production companies/ film studios etc. use macs...

9. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

The company I'm now working for is in the publishing business and a little more than half the employees (and pretty much every one of the designers) is on a Mac running OS X.

The software I'm supporting takes slightly longer (more steps) to install on OS X, but once it's up and running, there are a lot fewer problems on the Macs than there are on the PC's.

10. Spyware.
    Consistency of operation.

11. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

TCO (total cost of ownership) has generally found to be lower with Mac as well.
    there have been several studies on that, but i dont remember how recent any of them are, or where exactly to find them. This includes things like support costs over a period of time and such.

12. elcano

elcano Guest

The Hardware and software are built/designed by the same company, thus countless drivers and/or system compatability for misc motherboards, etc is simply not required.

13. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

thanks to everyone who gave me ideas

14. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

it clearly has a prettier interface. :o

15. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The 3 main reason I love Macs are:
    1. The OS CD. You can boot from this disc and still end up in a normal usable OS that you're use to and do more than just install the OS. Because of this you can create custom boot discs with tools and settings you want to use. I've OS CD to do things like repair system files that I wouldn't be able to do repair other wise, also to replace the Finder and the System file with customized ones. Keep in mind this was when I was running the classic Mac OS, OS 7.3x to be exact, I haven't tried it OS X but I'm sure it can do the same as well.

2. Preference files. While the Preference folder can look like a cluster f**k of files to very green users of computers in general, however to those that are well experinced Mac users and even those making the switch from Windows to Mac should have an easy enough time browsing through the files and finding what they are looking for without hardly trying.
    But what makes these files, and the folder, so great; is that when if you have a program that is acting up and you're not sure why, just go to the Preferences folder and find it's Preference file(s) and delete them or just remove them from the folder. Then restart the program and it should be ok, usually is 9 times out of 10.
    How does this compare to Windows? Well you have to either uninstall the program and then reinstall it (there's about 5 mins up to around 1 hour of wasted time) or you'll have to know exactly what you're doing and where to find what you're looking for in the Registry. The Windows Registry, talk about your all time cluster f**ks.

3. Speaking of uninstalling programs. In most cases of Mac programs to "uninstall" something, you just drag it to the Trash and then empty the trash and it's gone. the only thing life behind is a small Preference file. There are cases where some Mac programs will also install a Control Panel and/or an Extension (classic Mac) or Prefenece Pane (Mac OS X) which mean you'll have to find it and drag them to the Trash as well or in the case of classic Mac OS restart with Extensions Off and the drag them to the Trash.
    Now how does this compare to Windows programs? Well while most programs come with uninstallers, but there are usually still a good number of lines left behind in the Registry, plus there also a few files left behind. And this is just for programs, trying to remove drivers can be even worse in what it leaves behind.
    But uninstaller doesn't always work, and funny enough the "cure" for this is to reinstall the program on top of what is already there, which works even less some times mostly with games, and then you're making a trip back to the registry to remove just the right lines to do the reinstall and then try the uninstall again...but still leaves you with the same problem above.

Now there is also the fact that Macs don't suffer from the spyware issues that Windows does, but then neither does Linux. Same story for viruses, not there isn't any viruses for Macs (and Linux) but they just aren't as easy to get into the system and there are a far fewer number of viruses to worry about over all.

Sadly even with all the many more reasons there are to love and use Macs, I'm still forced to use a Winblows PC to get some of my work done and to play many of the games that I love to play online and have voice chat at the same time.

BTW, as far as proving my real love for Macs, look at my name and if you're an old hand with Macs you're understand what it means.

16. Halon X

Halon X New Member

A Picture is worth 1000 words!

[​IMG]

17. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

^^^ quit showing off. we're all already jealous :squint:

18. Halon X

Halon X New Member

You would post pics just as much as I would if you had the same setup sitting on your desk... ;)