Calling All Hard Drive Gurus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fromthecold, Apr 17, 2006.

1. fromthecold

fromthecold OT Supporter

hey,

so, my motherboard died. yay.:wtc: I am running 2x 80gb SATA hard drives. They are not RAIDed, but im not totally familiar with sata tech. and my mobo for some reason reads them as... scci drives... dont know why (shuttle an50R - ya, its crap)

here is my main Q:
    I going to replace the mobo with a different model (my old model is discontinued)
    this most likely means im gunna have to reformat the OS

i know if they were PATA drives, i could just connect the hard drives to another computer and pull off the data, but because these drives are SATA drives, will the new mobo just wipe all the data cuz its trying to 'create' a new raid?
    can i just plug them into another computer and get the data off them, or will the new hardware try to config them and erase the data table on them.

really, i just wanna keep my data

thnx in advance

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm no guru, but I do mess around with hard drives quite a bit, as I have a multi scsi drive setup.

Do you have stuff that you need saved on both drives?
    If only one, then do this:
    Plug only the drive you want to put the new os in first. Install the os.
    Now plug the backup in. Windows will recognize the second drive and just automatically assign it a letter for it in my computer. All the data will still be on it.
    Raid doesn't happen automatically, so you don't have to worry about that.

Now - If you have data on both drives that you want to save -
    I haven't done this, so I can't walk you through it, but I have friends who have and they just run windows repair and save the data.
    This should be very easy to get instruction for from this site. Or just google it.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

PS - If windows does not automatically recognize the new drive (don't worry, it almost for sure will), all you have to do is go
    Start > right click my computer > manage > disk management.
    On the odd occasion that windows does not automatically recognize a new drive, going to disk management usually starts a wizard that will add it for you. Out of 30 or so drives that I have tinkered with, it has recognized the new drive probably 28 times.

4. fromthecold

fromthecold OT Supporter

thnx...
    im more worried about the lowerlevel being formatted
    before it gets to windows....

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You don't need to reinstall Windows to replace the motherboard. My current PC has had three motherboards in it, even switching from an Intel Pentium III to an AMD Athlon, and it runs fine. It just takes a few reboots for it to install all the drivers for the different hardware on the new motherboard.

The new motherboard shouldn't erase the data on your hard drives in order to make a new RAID, unless you tell it to. Try booting the computer up with no hard drives in it to start with, go into the BIOS, and make sure that any RAID functions are disabled.

6. fromthecold

fromthecold OT Supporter

k thnx

give that a try,,...

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

For what you are talking about they work just like PATA drives. You should be able to hook them up to the new board and get your data Like Deus said you can also most likely boot from them. Personally, I don't recommend doing that for the long term (too many system drivers floating around) but it should work and your data should be fine.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

windows sees RAID controllers as a "SCSI" item. Even if you don't have an array defined, it'll show as SCSI under Device Manager.

9. chips

chips ...

make sure in the BIOS its set to sata and not RAID, so just disable the RAID controller and it should detect it has sata.