GUN Cali Laws and Gun Choices

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jabberwocky, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

Are concealed weapon permits available in Cali? If so, what would be an ideal pistol to get? I'd like something with decent stopping power, and I'm pretty big, so hiding it probably wouldn't be so much of a problem. I've never fired a pistol, though.

Thoughts?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Concealed carry permits CAN be had in CA, but good luck. They're very difficult and time consuming to obtain. You will also need to give a reason (and a good one at that) for why you need to carry a pistol. (i'll keep my comments to myself. :rolleyes: )

You can find some general info and guidelines here: http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/california

If you're new to firearms, i'm a big proponent of learning to shoot handguns with a good quality revolver, for their simplicity of operation and maintenance. A decent used S&W Model 66 can be had for about $200. You can shoot .38 Special or .357 Magnum rounds through it. (.38's kick less and can be bought cheap for lots of practice)

But for carry, a semi-auto is the most popular choice, since they lack the thickness of the revolver and tend to bulge out less underneath your clothes. If you prefer or are only able to get one gun, a compact semi-auto might be the way to go.

i favor Glocks, particularly the small G27 (.40 S&W) or G26 (9mm), but the Kahr P9 or KP40 would be excellent and easy-to-learn-on choices as well. Any of those should be available in the $400-500 range, but if that's still steep, look at the Kel-Tec P11 (9mm) or P40 (.40 S&W). The best thing you can do when shopping for a gun, especially a pistol, is go to the gunshop and handle them all and pick one that "feels right" in your hand.

3. nordaim

nordaim Guest

Though I love shooting the Glocks, I would recommend a Walther P99 (in .40 S&W) over a Glock for carry, should you go with an automatic. All of the little complaints that there are about Glocks seem to have been corrected in that pistol.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Don't really consider the P99 to be of "concealed" carry size myself :dunno:, but if you can conceal it comfortably, by all means.

And the P99 .40's tainted by S&W :down: :p

5. chiadog

chiadog Guest

p99 is too big. kahr (i have one) is too small for a big guy. if he want a glock, 19/23/32 (i wouldnt get glock in bigger caliber than 9mm) are good sized guns without being too small. if he can afford it, get a sig 229.

side note about plastic kahr, they suck. get the all steel ones.

as for never fired a pistol, it really dont matter what gun u start with, be it revolver or a pistol. just practice.
    in sd, kalifonistan, i doubt u will get a ccw. but good luck anywayz.

6. Roque_T

Roque_T Guest

My Para P14 is just about the right size for me. Not to mention carries the punch to back it.

7. svtjesse

svtjesse Guest

8. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

yeah california gun laws suck. Grey davis=:down:

I can only pray bill simon beats him in the upcoming election... but who am I kidding, this is california :rolleyes:

9. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

haha that site is awesome!!

"-Carrying without a permit-
    While CA has the classical old political CCW system (no right to carry except for politicians and celebrities -- e.g. anti-gun rights senators Boxer and Feinstein have permits)"

"-Culver City-
    Notes:
    Culver City, CA. has an informal shall issue policy. Write a decent letter and take a required course (8 hours, $150). Chief's name is Ted Cooke. He is unashamedly pro-gun. Culver City has a very low crime rate, to nobody's suprise on this list."

:rofl: