MIL Calf Pains (running related)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Godspeed, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I've been running consistantly since OCT and my best 3-mile at the OSO was a 21:30 or something like that. not bad but not good either so i've been sticking with my running. Well lately, i've been having trouble with my calves. When i go for a run, I feel fine the first mile and a half. I've timed myself and my mile and half time is averaging about 9:20ish. But after the mile and a half i run into problems. My calves get seriously pumped and feel like their cramping up, except not as sudden as a cramp usually is. I dont feel worn out, out of breath, etc.. its just my calves really get to me. It gets to a point where i can barely lift my feet and i'm just shuffling down the trail.

Anyways, i've been trying different things to fix it but nothing seems to really help but I think the problem may be with the frequency of my runs.

I changed my routine up about 3 weeks ago and thats when this stuff started happening. Before i changed, i ran 3 times a week/ every other day. I never really had any problems during that period (except at the beginning when i had calf pains and shin splints.. but that seems to be the norm for anyone starting out). So i believe the problem is that while i'm fine cardio wise, my calves dont have the endurance required for long runs because of the way i'm training.

My routine is now like this:

Monday - Lift
    Tuesday - OFF
    Wednesday - Lift
    Thursday - Run (Speedwork)
    Friday - Lift
    Saturday - Run
    Sunday - Run

I'm thinking that big gap is whats causing my calves to feel cramped. If i increase my run days to 4 a week while keeping my overall weekly mileage down (to prevent shin splints) and slowly work up to where i'm running 3 miles+ each time i run, do you guys think that will help my problem?

2. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Make sure you are drinking lots of fluids and stretching before and after. That should help you. Just work on a gradual pace of frequence and distance.

3. Fearan

Fearan Guest

What kind of shoes are you wearing?

My gf has a very similar problem, and its because her whole muscle system isn't stretched enough, so her leg muscles can't extend quickly or far without causing pain in her calfs. She can't even move her feet into a 90* with her legs if she is sitting like:
    ...........-|
    |_______|

Try doing that and tell me how much you feel pain in your calfs when you try to move your feet towards you. If it hurts, it could be the same prob as my gf, in which case I'll give you info on how to fix it.

4. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

As gtcrispy mentioned keep pumping fluids in.
    Try doing some calf raises or something also to try and strengthen them.

I wish I never stopped running like I did in high school. Was running mid 17's then. Now I lack the motivation to go put in the miles again.:(

5. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I just tried and i got 90* just fine without any pain. It may be a different story after I run but right now its fine. The sides of my shins are a little sore but nothing to write home about.

I wear Saucony's. I don't know the exact model but I went to a running specialty store to get them. The employee there gave me different shoes to try and and watched me run in them to make sure she gave me the right kind of shoe for my running type. They feel great.

Also, I've read that you should stretch a few times throughout the day but i've also heard stretching cold could be bad. Is that true?

6. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

I like running too but it seems to be one thing or another that keeps me down. Before this, I have some pains in my hip which caused me to take some time off from running. I found out the problem and fixed it and thought i was good to go and now i'm dealing with this. :mad: I've talked to track runners and XC guys about their experiences with injuries and they just say "I don't know man. I just run and i never had any problems." :madfawk:

7. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I have had this problem lately. It might be due to being in Iraq for a year and not being able to run properly. Then going on 30 days of leave where the only exercise i got was snowboarding. Then my company running 6-8 miles as if we were never in Iraq. I solved it though. 30 day profile.

8. eter

eter New Member

just be glad you're going through all of this shit at home where you have the luxury of being able to take breaks and not in boot.

9. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

hell ya. thats why its so frustrating. May is when i go to PLC and even though i've been training, this shit with my calves isn't going to cut it. I can't but think, what if i cant straighten this stuff out before then? :noes:

10. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Cold stretching isn't "bad" it's just not as good as warmed-up stretches because your muscles aren't as active, therefore they won't remember the stretch as much. Also, it is much easier to injure yourself during a cold stretch, which I guess can be considered bad if someone doesn't know how to stretch.

Alright so the shoes should be good. Try running and doing the stretch I showed... I don't know how far your 90* is. Put your back to a wall, push your butt in properly, keep your back straight then try to bring your toes towards you. Does it start to hurt before you reach maximum stretch? (Don't really know how to explain that in words, but once you try you'll see what I mean.)

11. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I had the same problem in the past while running. I was trying to push myself further, going 3 miles and making it back before others in the unit could do 2.
    I don't remember what I did to fix the problem. I do remember drinking some gatorade about 30-45 minutes before running. Also, I would stretch my calves, not too much though, that would make them tighten up before 2 miles.

Am I correct when I say that it feels like someone has grabbed your calf and you can't move your foot up or down? Thats what I had.

I know I didn't do anything drastic like changing shoes or running backwards.

12. Fearan

Fearan Guest

That's the exact problem my gf has, except she gets it after 2-3 minutes of running. :hsd:

Kind of sucks, because I love running and she can't follow me.

13. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

ya pretty much. :bowdown: thank god someone understands. all i've been getting from people is "Suck it up. You're just being a pussy." It feels like a death grip squeeze on my calves and i have basically no control on how far my leg travels when i run. And it pretty much happens at the same point in my runs.. around the 1.5 mile mark.

I'll try the gatorade thing. lately, all i've been drinking is water. Nothing else. maybe a glass of OJ in the morning but thats it. i may be lacking the potassium or something :dunno:

14. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Sounds pretty much exactly like what happens to my gf when she's running.

I would recommend going to see a physiotherapeutist, (s)he will be able to give you specific exercises that will help you. Some good insoles might also be able to alleviate the pain.

15. Accord

Accord New Member

Just put the Marines Hymn on your ipod, set it to "repeat", and go!

Instant motivation!

16. Fearan

Fearan Guest

:rolleyes: You must feel so tough when you're running to that.

17. Accord

Accord New Member

No, just motivated :)

18. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I had a lot of muscle soreness the past summer from running ~30 miles and cycling ~100 miles a week. I tried The Stick at a triathlon and was sold instantly. I know a couple of other triathlete's that swear by it, it feels great on sore muscles..
    http://thestick.com/

19. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

question about that: did you lift weights like squats or deadlifts when you had the problem?

20. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

If you can sing when you're running you ain't runnen fast enough :mamoru: