Calender program?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, May 9, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Looking for something that has pop-up reminders to let you know what you have planned for that day/time.

I'm sure I could google it and find an answer but what's a good one?

:dunno:

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

3. diyam doo

diyam doo sucka member

rainlendar

4. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Agendus is good. It's used by a lot of people to sync with a palm, but the standalone program is great too.

5. Raslafor

Raslafor New Member

There's a calender addon for the personalized iGoogle homepage if you use that.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

What the fuck?

Get Outlook like the rest of the business world.

7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Well I went with this one and I must say, it does exactly what i wanted it to. Thanks man.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Thunderbird + Lightning can do anything Outlook can, except crash all the goddamned time. Besides, who said he was looking for a business solution?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I leave outlook up for days/weeks at a time and it never crashes.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I opened up outlook and just gave it a :ugh: look while I tried to find something usable. Maybe it was my shitty install of office 03 but just wasn't working.

It's just to keep some of my tasks in order and reminders of what I have to do on certain days. Nothing big.

Downloaded thunderbird and it's downloading all my emails from my gmail account so we'll see how it works out with lightning.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  11. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Badass.

I'm digging it already.

:bowdown:

It's so much faster reading my emails from Thunderbird as opposed to logging into gmail.

12. deusexaethera

Just wait til you figure out that you can import Rainlendar's .ICS file into Lightning and automagically have meeting invites you accept in Thunderbird pop up on your desktop in realtime.

...ah shit, I just spoiled the surprise.

13. deusexaethera

Do you run it in Cached Exchange Mode? If we turn that off, Outlook slows to a crawl, and if we turn it back on, Outlook's .OST files get so big they start causing bluescreens.

14. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

:eek3::eek3::eek3:

Tell me more.

15. deusexaethera

It's about as simple as that. You tell Rainlendar to store stuff in an .ICS file, then you add that .ICS file as a calendar within Lightning. I recommend that you remove all other calendar files from Lightning if you're going to do this, so you can be certain that new appointments will always go into the shared .ICS file.

16. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

dawt. Though, i'm not in Exchange, we do it the old fashioned way with individual .pst files. I've never had an outlook problem.

17. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Wow - yeah - we don't have that problem. We have people on the LAN, WAN and RPC over HTTPS and we don't have any of those problems, and one of our offices' backup internet connection is satellite. It's actually unbelievably stable.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Mine is 1,225 KB :wiggle:

19. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Unfortunately, it's a complete piece of shit.

I use Google Calendar and haven't found _anything_ that comes close to being as good.

20. deusexaethera

The guy who bitches about using encryption certificates issued by a central authority has no problem handing over the schedule of his personal life (and possibly his contact list too) to the new behemoth on the block. Okay. :hsugh:

21. deusexaethera

Care to share info on how you set up a cache that's so small yet is actually usable if you happen to be on travel without web access?

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't use it for travel. If I need remote access, I have to do it over VPN. Otherwise, outlook won't work for me.

I have exported to PST when neccessary, but honestly, there's internet access everywhere I go. Every airport, hotel, etc. Heck, I've got a USB cable for my A-900 and I can use that if I absolutely need to.

23. deusexaethera

Ah, yeah, we can do it over VPN or Outlook Web Access too, but when we do on-site work for the military the best connections we get are whatever the wireless broadband cards we carry can provide. Hell, even in our office our computers still have to go from Northern VA to Montgomery Alabama to get our mail. Things got better when we installed WAN data compressors at each office, but it's still slow if we don't cache.

Thunderbird keeps each email folder in a separate file, so it doesn't stress the filesystem or the virus scanner. It's a better solution in that respect.

24. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

There's lots of ways to keep people's mailboxes low in Exchange, but I don't know how you managed to blue screen. My OST file is .5 gigs right now and it doesn't make a difference how big it is since it only updates what changes anyway. Works over the internet without VPN too which is nice since I don't have to worry about hotels blocking VPN traffic.

Hate to say it Deus, but there's something very wrong if you're having issues with Exchange.

25. deusexaethera

One guy has a 5GB .OST file, that's how. Try virus-scanning THAT sonofabitch every time he opens an email.