Calculus program

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1999TL, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Is there a calculus program for the computer that anybody knows of that can do calculus? I already have a TI-86 calculator, but it won't work out an expression like a TI-89. Im thinking about buying a TI-89, but I'd rather not if I could find something that would work on the computer.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

MATLAB. No, it's not free.

I've had a TI-89+ for a few years now. Keep in mind when I say this next thing, that I used to write videogames for my TI-83: the TI-89 is so complex I've barely ever used its full power.

I'd get the TI-89+; it's the last calculator you'll ever need.

3. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i had spacetime 3.0 and pocket calculus that i used on my cellphone with windows mobile, so if you have a windows mobile phone you can get those. they worked great. got me through calculus 1 & 2

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

start -> run -> calc... last calculator you'll ever need. lol

5. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Thanks fellas. I'll try Pocket calculus and spacetime first since I do have a windows mobile phone. Plus, they have trial period... Me love the internet.

Sounds like the TI-89 is the way to go though. I have an 83+ and TI86 that would just rot though if I bought that.

6. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

ya, the ti-89 is good stuff. if you're just going to be doing it on your computer you can download an emulator and the ti-89 rom straight from texas instruments website. although legally you're suppose to own a ti-89 if you download it.

although if you need to use a calculator for tests just buy the ti-89. my calc teachers didn't allow calculators on tests though so it didn't really matter for me :o

7. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

:nono:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  8. deusexaethera

Aw, come on Sled, I wanted to see what he said so I could ride his ass for it!

9. deusexaethera

My profs didn't allow calculators on tests either. I used mine anyway, and I used it to solve pieces of the problem at a time instead of all in one shot, so I could show the steps. That's all they cared about, and I got good grades -- except in Differential Equations, which was confusing as hell, and Statistics, which made me narcoleptic.

10. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

we can't use calculators for tests. That spacetime program seems to work well.

11. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I can't find where to download the emulator. any link?

12. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Sorry guy, but no one will be riding my ass :mamoru:

It was a link to a torrent of matlab. My bad for posting it since it was obviously against the rules.

13. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

google is your friend...

14. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

my alter ego already did that search.

15. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

16. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Thanks. I was dumb at first. I was looking for the emulator on TI's website.

I installed it, but it isn't that easy to read. also, when I open it I can't figure out how to get it on the screen. It opens and flies to the top of the screen. The only way I can resize it is to send it to the other monitor via ultra mon, and resize it there. *sigh* such a noob

17. bovine

bovine New Member

I have no idea why you people are suggesting Matlab for this guy. He would be better served by a good symbolic mathematics program like Maple or Mathematica. I mean, sure, he can install the Symbolic Math Toolbox in Matlab, but that's just an addon that uses the Maple engine anyway.

Do you people even use the programs you're recommending, or are you just recommending Matlab because it sounds sort of like "math?"

edit: Just so you know, the "Mat" in Matlab stands for "Matrix," not "Math." And it's great for solving transfer functions, solving 1000 simultaneous equations, etc. Notsomuch with the solving of a simple integral.

18. deusexaethera

MAPLE! That's the name of the program my physics prof used. The only one I could remember was MATLAB. I much preferred Maple.

19. bovine

bovine New Member

Maple is indeed badass and very, very simple to use. Matlab is badass as well, but not easily picked up.

20. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I looked up matlab, and it's not what I needed. Thanks Bovine. I will have to check out Maple.

Do you own a TI-89, Bovine? I just dont know if it's worth it for me to spend the money on one. I have a TI-86 and a TI-83 already(never use the 83, got handed down to me). Maybe I should sell the TI-83 and just get the 89. We can't use the calculator on the test anyways, that's why I dunno if I want to spend the money. After this semester my TI-86 will be good enough I bet.

21. bovine

bovine New Member

I own a TI 89 and an HP 50g. Get the 50g. It's by far the superior calculator, and it costs ~$20 less than the 89.

It's what professional engineers use (if they aren't using Maple or Matlab). I've never seen the 89 out in the workplace.

edit: You should also check your campus computer store. I know that at UT, we can get Mathematica (which blows any graphing calculator out of the fucking water) for $30.