Calculating cache size

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Charonchan, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Charonchan

Charonchan New Member

So, I have a homework assignment due in 11 hours in which I have to estimate the cache size/number of caches on a machine using C, IA32 assembly, and the time command. I don't know where to start. I'm a little familiar with direct-mapped caches and how to calculate miss rates, but apparently not familiar enough.

Help, ideas, or explanation of concepts would be much appreciated. I can usually learn from my lecture notes or my book, but this stuff is beyond me. (Please be gentle, I'm only a freshman.)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

we don't do your homework for you :lockd:

read the sticky.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i was going to say the same, but he wasn't asking someone to do it for him. he was just asking for help understanding the concepts.

4. HY

HY New Member

i had to do this with a mips processor. i used a simulator, m5, and ran benchmarks on it. i just had to change the cache layouts and set up the links. is this usually a freshman class?

5. Charonchan

Charonchan New Member

It's a fall semester sophomore class. I found someone to help me. It has to do with writing code that uses a certain amount of memory, then raising said amount and graphing how much time it takes. Whenever the graph suddenly jumps, you've run out of cache space on that level.

...Or something like that. x__x Thanks anyway

6. HY

HY New Member

that sounds like such a bad way to do it. there would be all sorts of other factors coming into that. i cant you cant get any type of accuracy doing it that way