Calcium Pills

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Swipe, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swipe

Swipe New Member

I know this board is mostly about body building, but I didn't know where else to pose this question. I stopped drinking milk (makes me feel sick and weak) recently, but I'm in a sport where I have to take a considerable amount of punishment. Wondering if I should start taking calcium pills to keep my bones strong so they don't snap like twiiggy plastic coat hangers.

2. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i take 1000-1500 mg a day.. i think the more important issue at hand is why does milk make you feel sick and weak?

3. Swipe

Swipe New Member

No idea. It's not that it's so noticeable when I'm drinking it, but when I'm not drinking it I feel a lot stronger. Only occasionally when I drink it do I feel sick. I just figure I'm better off without it.

4. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i would start taking calcium daily, make sure it doesn't make you feel similar to how milk does cause then there would be an underlying problem.

i'm not any type of expert but if you aren't lactose intolerant and milk makes you feel weak that doesn't seem right. next time you see a doctor you might want to mention it offhand.

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

You might have a mild lactose intolerance (like me).

I didn't discover it until the age of 14 or 15. It wouldn't kill me, but I would feel weak and sick; usually slight nausea, cramps, gas, etc... I still eat cheese but I can't have it in huge quantities and I stay away from straight up milk.

I do take a calcium pill though. I am sure between my daily multi + cheese + eggs + half in half in coffee I consume everyday I get a decent amount of calcium in my body... but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Just don't go overboard with the calcium pills seeing as calcium deposits are a large contributor (or so i've heard) to kidney stones.

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Some people have a mild lactose intolerance and respond badly to certain lactate protein in milk (my problem).

I take the costco calcium pills are they are fine for me. I still can't have milk, flintstone chewables (they have that lactate protein in them), and whey protein that does not contain a lactate enzyme to break that protein down.

ON whey FTW!

7. I hate milk with a passion, the taste to me is disgusting...:dunno:

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Same here. Just the smell is sometimes enough to make me gag.

9. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

hahah i take the same costco ones.. calcium + vit d + vit k

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

:werd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.