MMA cage vs. ring...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by TigreTek, Jun 5, 2006.

1. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

Is the use of the cage good or bad for the proliferation of the sport in terms of public acceptance and/or growth? What advantages or disadvantages do you guys see to mma in a cage vs mma in a ring from a fighter's standpoint?

Consider the following in your response:

opponents of MMA in the US cite the "barbaric" nature of the cage as one of the reasons why the sport is simply too violent to be allowed. the cage does allow for a more controlled environment with no danger of falling out, though it somewhats limits visibility in live performances.

the ring is an already accepted venue of athletic competition and adds an air of civility to sport that can be described as "the sweet science (boxing), evolved". as a downside, people can and have fallen through the ropes with the nearly five foot drop resulting in serious injury.

also consider the fighters trapped against the fence vs. the move to the middle of the ring restart.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

Homework eh?

I like the cage better.

3. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

cage ftw. press the action without falling out.

4. TigreTek

negative. i suppose that all somewhat intelligently phrased questions can't possibly be the work of an OTer. :hs:

why?

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Tigre you should do a search, we've had 5+ page threads full of long discussions about this. I remember one was only a month or two ago.

I like the ring. Both the ring and the cage come with their disadvantages in terms of fighting. The cage is used by many fighters as tool to help them win. They adapt their game to be fought in the cage, and learn how to press their opponent against it so they can have the upper hand, or pin them to it etc. The ring does not have this, however if two fighters are on the ground and the ropes are obstructing their mobility or there is some fear of someone falling out, the fight will be restarted in the center of the ring, however this gives the guy on the bottom the chance to save himself which he may not have been able to do had the fight not been restarted.

I prefer ring greatly over the cage. The cage makes the fighters adapt to an unnatural environment, whereas ring resets, which happen about 1/100 of the amount of times in a fight than a fighter using the cage to their advantage, simply give one fighter a small chance to cheat. Like I said, both have their disadvantages, but the cage is much worse in that people abuse it rather than ring resets, which are much less frequent and do not give any fighter as big of an advantage as cage use does.

6. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

as a striker, im better suited for a ring, but i still think a cage is better and allows for a different type of strategy when pressed or pressing against an immovable object, its just more fun imo

7. TigreTek

:hs: never even bothered to search. i read an article about it this weekend and figured it'd spark some conversation in here.

8. Teh Awesome!

Teh Awesome! Guest

cage fighting is for pussies because they can rub each other up on the fence and scar their oppenents tissue against the metal

9. TigreTek

flamebait what?

how often does it really go down like that?

10. JustGod

JustGod New Member

The ring is better for boxing/standup. The cage is better for MMA.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Great arguement. I like how you stated your opinions. Very good.

12. TigreTek

excellent. why?

13. TigreTek

if i'm ever a teacher, i should make this a test question. :mamoru:

14. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

I agree.

15. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I prefer the cage. As a grappler, I find myself in the clinch pretty often, looking to bring my opponent down. In the gym we have pads on the wall that many people use to lean opponents against while looking to sweep. The cage is just the same. I agree that cornering the opponent on the ground to the cage gives a great advantage to the fighter on top, but I'm sure the initial concept of the cage was not for that reason. It has effectively been used by great fighters in the clinch to power their opponents to the cage then sweep them to the ground.

In the ring I've seen some fighters pressing the opponent looking to get the fight to the ground. In this situation, it always upsets me to see the opponent being pressed against the rope to have a reset. I feel like the ring slows the action down on the ground and is a bit restrictive. Though it doesn't happen terribly often, it's too easy to get a reset escape via the rope.

When a fighter is on the ground against the cage, it gives the fighter a reality check and forces him to improve his defense. Some fighters are comfortable even against the cage. If the fighter learns to effectively use the cage in attack and defense, it enables the fight to be a lot more exciting.

The ring has always given me the feeling that I am watching a striking match (like boxing or K1). In a NHB fight, I am more satisfied with an environment that has less technical rules ( like a rope reset ).

Let the men fight.

16. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Thanks. I take it you read the other thread. :)

17. JustGod

JustGod New Member

MMA should be as close to real life combat as possible. The cage best exemplefies this. As has been mentioned, there are less restarts due to people reaching the edge or going outside. A wrestler can use it to his advantage only as much as a striker such as Chuck could use it to his. There are no chances of people falling out (Used to be a lot more common in Vale Tudo). The area within is larger. There aren't a bunch of people trying to hold you in with their hands when you reach an outer edge. You can't get tangled up in the ropes. Holding the cage is about the same as holding the ropes, so I'd say it's neutral in that regard. You can still pin an opponent in a ring. Restarts are never exactly in the same position; it's impossible. There are a few other reasons that I can't remember right now.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

This explains why the cage is more popular in America. Here, most people just want to see action without interference, because they feel like interference is making the fight less natural, however they fail to realize the cage changes the fighters strategy, techniques, and the fight itself completely. The only problem with the ring resets is that it gives the fighters a short chance to rest a bit, and occasionally the ref will not put them back into the perfect position.

Ring fighting is more popular in japan because it gives you a chance to see more fighting skill and less bull shit like pinning someone against the cage to finish them, which is extremely common in cage matches. There they take the fighting ability itself much more seriously than the fight.

Again, while ring resets suck, it is better than seeing some dude fight just because he got lucky and the other guys back was to the fence first.

Cliffs:

Cage = bullshit for faggots who don't care about skill outside of the cage
    Ring = for those who care about fighting abilities of the human body instead of skills of environmental exploitation.

19. TigreTek

next thread: elbows: friend or foe?

20. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

for use?

Elbows are amazingly effective and dangerous. If they were allowed to the dome in pride the fights would be much different.

21. TigreTek

i think i meant pros and cons in mma.

no doubt they're brutally effective on the street.

22. JustGod

JustGod New Member

No, sorry. You lose.

23. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

No. I win. The cage takes the fight away from the standards of physical ability to use your body to hurt the other person or dominate them, and it gives you a wall to use as a second pair of hands.

The ring does not.

Ideally I think fights would not be spectated and would be fought somewhere in a very flat plain and spectated from afar, so that the walls would simply be too far for the fighters to reach to use to their advantage. I'd imagine this is how they watched fights in the Roman Colosseum, because it was so big and the fighters (first known place for "mma" style fighting supposedly) were probably cenetered in the middle for optimum viewing experience by all the spectators, or, like other primitive fighting exhibitions, had a simple shape drawn on the ground and used as a boundary, just like how the ring is used.

Cage fighting should not be considered MMA until there is a martial art that includes a goddamn fence as a weapon, because that's how a lot of fighters use it.

24. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Of course they're effective in MMA. a lot of times I see fighters get in the clinch and they fail to use them when they obviously could, obviously in Pride and some other events they aren't allowed to so that explains why it happens there.

I think for Pride they simply consider it too dangerous so they don't allow fighters to use them, since there is no real way to pad the elbow like you can with the fist.

25. TigreTek

elbows: legit damage makers / knockout power or BS stoppage from cuts?