MMA Cage give me product ideas

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GreatDeceiver, Feb 26, 2009.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Here's the deal. I'm an Industrial Design major set to graduate in June. Basically my last quarter of school is devoted to a thesis project which is traditionally the biggest focus of your portfolio. (for those who don't know, ID is basically product design. We go into fields like electronics, car design, consumer products, basically any product thats on a shelf. We decide how it works, what it looks like, materials, construction, etc.)

So the thesis is something of your choice, and while I have some ideas I want to work on something that I personally have a vested interest in. My main hobbies are guitar and Muay Thai. And while I don't train JJ or MMA, I am still very interested in them as a spectator. Anyway, I would love to create a new and innovative product that would benefit people training in striking arts, grappling, or even MMA but I really have no ideas at the moment.

I feel like bags, focus mitts, thai pads, gloves, etc. have existed for so long that innovating them would be a very weak area. Then again, I haven't been training nearly as long as most of you, so I'm asking for any thoughts or suggestions that you may have had through your training career. A product you wish was marginally better, something new, anything at all. This could be incredibly vague like 'I wish there was a way I could train at home without a partner' or something specific like 'There needs to be a way to keep my gloves/gi/etc. clean and last longer'.

I think this would be an interesting discussion and a break from the bs around the Cage, but if nobody has ideas I'll just assume that the field of combat sports products just isn't the best way to go.

Thanks guys.

2. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

Mats that repelled viruses and infections!

3. miek

miek New Member

Guitar is easy, there's plenty of things you could use to run with.

As for mma, the infections idea is pretty solid. :dunno:

One thing that bugs me when I roll is my knees. I can't seem to find a pair of bjj specific knee pads that won't move on me when I roll, and right now I soemtimes use an old volleyball pair :rofl:. I have terrible knees and the damn pads move on me all the time. Maybe innovating some sort of pad that will stay in place, isn't bulky, and won't trap the sweat in too bad (sometimes after rolling for a couple hours I'll have a weird rash on my knees.

OR, maybe playing around with the idea of a bjj specific cup? I've been mashed in the balls too many times, and the only cup I really have is meant for other sports (hockey, etc) which involves different movements, and will shift if I try to use it. Maybe a cup that works well with the kind of movements used in bjj?

I don't know man... just a couple of the first ideas that came off the top of my head :rofl:

4. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

How about grappling shorts that are made completely of the stretchy lycra that is typically found only in the crotch.

BJJ Gi's that are made from a material that does not absorb sweat.

5. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

How about a long punching bag that truly shifted direction and not just sway from side to side?

6. GreatDeceiver

I like it guys just keep throwing stuff at me

7. GreatDeceiver

Hmm this is simple but nice, I could definitely have some solid reasoning behind the product too. Thanks.

8. GreatDeceiver

Yeah as far as guitar goes, I was thinking of a musician-specific cart to safely transport your guitar(s), amp, pedals, pics, strings, etc. But when I think about it I feel like I'm just adding shit to a dolly.

As for the cup, our design at OSU is very research based, and I'm not sure I want to be exploring male genitals for three weeks lol. I'll keep it in mind though :bigthumb:

9. miek

miek New Member

:rofl: ya i thought so after i typed it, but whatever, just getting the ideas flowin.

10. GreatDeceiver

Not familiar with the shorts, I'm not sure why they don't use that material all around, as it seems like it would be more comfortable. Maybe the manufacturer thinks that you can just get some spandex shorts instead. Or are you thinking of loose-fitting shorts made with lycra?

The Gi idea definitely has potential. I know the stiffness/tensile strength of the Gi is pretty important to the user, and I'd have to research material options but I think it's definitely possible. :cool:

11. GreatDeceiver

So the entire bag would move mimicking your opponent. Pretty cool, I can already picture a simple mechanism that can be implemented at top of the bag. Maybe have a latch or something that fixes the bag in one spot like traditional bags, and also allow for the bag to move on something like a track.

12. GreatDeceiver

Lol yeah I appreciate the thought though. My biggest weakness as a designer is getting solid product ideas sometimes so just getting a thought out there really helps.

13. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

The lycra for the shorts is probably a pretty "warm" option and I'd assume is much pricier (although that's a complete guess).

The gi needs to be strong - but it seems that gi tears are typically related to the seems and less in the material itself.

14. rtzcom

Exactly, and the bag can have a pendulum inside that helps shift the weight around everytime it gets hit.

15. rtzcom

carbon kevlar gi ftw

16. GreatDeceiver

Noted. I'll investigate this.

17. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

A robot to spar with with 3 difficulty modes.

18. GreatDeceiver

I definitely think there is something there. Would like to hear some more cage strikers thoughts on this :cool:

19. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

umm, i'm not sure about the bag thing, but don't the double ended bags do what you're looking for? the ones tied top and bottom,

20. GreatDeceiver

Yeah, basically. I guess I was picturing a heavy bag or banana bag that was less spastic in its movement, something you could throw everything at instead of just punches :dunno:

21. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I would like a new product that is more slippery than petroleum jelly, but does not make your skin shiny. Would help my no gi a lot.

Serious note though I think focus mits and bags are not really touched because they already serve the purpose, and not the age factor. They are to help with technique and form, fuck you could go kick some trees if you want to.

22. GreatDeceiver

Well there are minor advancements and alterations that can make one company's mits or pads more comfortable, longer lasting, etc etc. But since my professors have to approve the project, I can't just say that I'm going to slightly improve on what's already out there.

The challenge is to create a substantially positive effect for the user, while being something that a combat sports enthusiast would actually want to use. This thing being an example:

http://www.fightgearoutlet.com/index.php?crn=242&rn=548&action=show_detail

I'm sure the company thought that adding a clear impact-resistant plastic shield would be a brilliant safeguard against face injuries and that everyone would want one, but I remember when someone posted it here everyone laughed at it, even The Ripper. That's why I'm trying to get thoughts from actual fighters.

23. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Some sort of fabric that is antimicrobial that you could weave into gi's / shorts / rashguards.

24. GreatDeceiver

:cool:

25. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

condoms that make reular sex feel like butt secks