MMA Cage crew with kids. Getting kids into Karate, etc?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by negative zero, May 30, 2008.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

My wife and I are thinking of signing our son up for Karate lessons. He's a little over 3 yrs old.

Just curious if anyone here has signed their kids up and what I should look for when picking out a place?? Although it's very limited around my area. 2 or 3 places that i know of.

Slim chance but are there any websites that rate karate schools down to a local level???

Thanks. :wavey:

2. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Karate schools are pretty much a rip off.

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

My 7 year old nephew takes Krav Maga in Ohio.

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

just get your kid into wrestling, it's usually free through public schools and it is probably safer than the child muay thai bullshit

it also would be a great base for MMA

5. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

3 years old is way too young in my opinion.

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Why? Not arguing but if I ended up doing this I would obviously go beforehand to observe ans well as be there during every lesson. If it ended up being a rip off I would pull him out.

I don't know much about differnt types of martial arts but I'll look into that one, thanks. BTW how old was he when he started?

I'll probably look into that as well. I wouldn't let him get into somehting that was unsafe.

That's one of my main concerns. Although my son is very smart (yes, alot of parents say that.) so i think he would be OK. If not, I would not let him contiue.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I think thats a bit young. Kids should be free to run around a bit and learn how real people interact and not bow to their sensei.

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:ugh:

If I did it would be for 30 min to an hour ~2 days a week or so. He runs and plays the rest of the time.

He (and his sister) are in day care and he takes music and computer class except for the summer. So while he doesn't have eitehr of those we thought karate (or some form) would be good for him.

9. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

See if there are BJJ kids programs in your area, all the kids classes at my school look like they are having a blast and it's a very safe martial art

10. Vysion

Vysion New Member

I would first find out what style, or styles of martial arts your kid(s) like. I wouldn't make a kid do anything they don't have fun with or don't want to do.

Secondly I don't think 3 is too young at all if he is in a class with others around his age, like a little-little ninjas class. My karate dojo has a little ninjas class that is before the adult class, and the youngest we have right now is a 5 year old kid. There are some parents that attend the class with their kids so it is a family activity.

The kids learn fun things, get a good work out, and gain confidence in themselves.

I guess if you are looking for a good class I would go to different schools and see how good the instructors are with the kids. My instructor is very good with the kids. He teaches them many things they can use outside of the dojo. He has the kids sometimes take a worksheet home with them and they have to have a parent initial the sheet when they do chores like clean their room, make their bed, etc. Otherwise they have to do pushups or situps in class if they don't accomplish their weekly/daily chores.

But he teaches them fun things too and he teaches them self defense and adjusts it for situations they may face at school, etc. He teaches them how to defend themselves against bullies and such, but he always teaches them that violence is the last option. The kids have a special bow they have to do at the end of class. They make a fist with their right hand and then cover the fist with their open left hand and bow saying 'might for right'. It is used to teach the kids that they are learning martial arts for good causes not bad ones. He teaches them never to attack anyone with the things they learn. If there is a confrontation he teaches them to use their minds to find non-violent solution, but he also teaches them the instinct that if they are attacked that they need to be prepared to defend themselves with varying levels.

To me those would be the most important aspects of my kids learning martial arts.

11. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I'm going to research it this weekend and make some phone calls on monday to a few places. Hopefully I'll be able to visit a couple of the places next week.

He's only three so I don't know if he can pick out the one he likes the best. Maybe I can take him with me and then ask which place he liked better :dunno:

thanks for all the info.

12. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i vote for wrestling or judo... if youre going to have him do something athletic it might as well be useful and safe for a kid

13. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

It's not a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of physical coordination as well as attention span and ability to focus.

My old dojo had kids classes open for kids as young as 4, and the little bitty kids were just occupying space while soccer mom watched and could say "my son takes karate". They couldn't execute techniques and learning kata was impossible.

The TKD school I attended a few years ago had a "little dragons" class on Saturday mornings that was like 45 minutes and basically a structured play time for the kids. But even that was only open to kids 5-7.

I'd seriously hold off a couple years.

14. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

yeah id hold off on getting my kid started until they were at least 10 or 11 yrs old

16. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

. on what chechen said.

wrestling/judo are great.

17. Sammo

Sammo New Member

lawl

18. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

We teach some bjj/tkd/karate mix stuff at the BJJ school. Honestly I think the kids that we have (mostly 10 and under) are way too young to learn the grappling. There are a choice few of them who are genuienly pretty good for kids, but most of them are just uncoordinated.

They get hurt, they get mad, they get scared, but they don't seem to learn or retain a lot of it. They seem to enjoy the punching and kicking and the games we play to teach them body control (crab walk tag, that kind of shit).

19. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

our instructor has them playing dodge ball on the mats to get them comfortable with being in this environment and now all the kids want to do when they come in is play fucking dodge ball lolz

20. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Same. We've got a big ass inflatable ball that we play "crab soccer" with where they either kick it from end to end or we do dogeball with it. That's all they want to do.

21. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

wrestling ftw

22. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:mamoru:

23. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

I'd put a 3 year old into a playground. A 3 yr old IMO is way too young to comprehend what's going on.

24. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I teach kids as young as 3. our kids program is amazing though, you guys can laugh all you want but it's all about age appropriateness. that young it's all about getting them to focus, breathe, and learn good body mechanics, and have fun. You don't have to resort to non-martial games all the time, everything we do even with that young of age will translate into more martial skill down the road, if the kids decide to stick with it.

anyway LOL @ me and kids krotty

25. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

and grappling is not that hard to teach kids, you just have to stay away from trying to get them to understand complicated technique. put them in the basic positions and let them explore. give them basic ideas of movement concepts and let them go at it. we have some kids right now who are displaying amazing technique for their age group just because we stopped trying to force techniqe.