MMA CAGE CREW INSIGHT NEEDED..... LONG

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by A-NON-A, Oct 20, 2007.

1. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

First off I would like to start training in the Arts again after about a ten year layoff. I have trained in Karate as a kid(almost embarassed .. lol) Kung Fu San Soo for a couple years , and Kali/Escrima (phillipino stick fighting) for about a year.

1. My first question is I would like to learn some BJJ possibly but I am as flexible as cement...... As a beginner in BJJ do they teach flexibility or is it inherently developed as you train????

2. I also am kind of interested in a school that may be a MMA school or that trains MT or Boxing some kind of standup as well but not sure if I want to dilute my training time???

3: Here are a list of schools in my area ....any feedback or experiences would be appreciated. Where would you go and why? :

Gracie Barra - Temecula
    GRIFFIN MARTIAL ARTS - Hemet..... One of the 12 original dog brothers
    American Kickboxing Fitness Center - Temecula. MT and GRACIE Jiu Jitsu
    TEAM QUEST - Murrieta ..I see Gabe Ruediger trains there :hsugh:

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Flexibility comes with your training, but it comes even faster if you work on it. Every time you finish any physical activity, stretch when you're cooling down. Stretching cold doesn't do too much, so if you're going to stretch before wrestling, stretch after a warm-up.

In my opinion, to get good you have to pick either ground or stand-up as your base and stick to it for a while. It isn't easy to get good at this stuff, and trying to do both at the same time means you probably won't be too good at either.

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

1. they do stretches and stuff, but contrary to popular belief.. you dont need to be able to put your foot behind your head. flexibility is important, but not necessary. You will become more flexible, but you dont need to be a contortionist or anything.

2. I wouldnt train more than one thing at once. unless you devote 2 hours to each martial art youre doing every day. that will probably burn you out fast. but i wouldn't go to an mma oriented school where they do an hour of each thing every week.

3. I do not know the reputation of any of those schools. you usually cant go wrong with a gracie barra school.

4. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Im leaning towards BJJ just because I think I would enjoy it more overall.

AKFC - Has ALBERTO FERRIERA DIAS as the head instructor supposedly one of the 15 Black Belts issued by Grand Master Carlos Gracie...
    http://www.akfcusa.com/Trainers.html

Gracie Barra - RICARDO GUIMARAES just won the 2007 Pan Am
    http://www.jiujitsuacademy.com/instructors.html

Team Quest - VINICIUS "PEZAO" MAGALHAES Royler Gracie Black Belt and 3 time BJJ World Champ
    http://www.teamquestmma.com/staff.asp

5. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Really ...Where?

I really enjoyed San Soo..... it was a very hard art in that it focused on devastation and ending a confrontation . It was also my first foray into actual contact sparring.

6. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

I was gonna post them up also but I hadnt heard the name and they are closed on weekends.

Im gonna try and visit the choices real soon and see what kind of vibes I get from each place as that is obviously important as well.

7. kroneX

kroneX New Member

as for the flexibility, u will get good at it, but most days i strech before i wake up, it takes 5 minutes tops to do a good strech, and i am quite flexible (i can get both my feet behind my head). Also if you are a smaller person (im only 170 cm and weight 67kg) you will get flexible really quickly, because you cant outmuscle the bigger guys.

on a side note, go along to each school and see which one you like better then make your choice

8. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Im a bigger unflexible guy :( I was 6'1 250 3 months ago...Now I am 219 and working my way down..