Caffeine that important?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

So, I am well aware of the thermogenic properties of caffeine, how it keeps your metabolism going, and how it works as a mild appetite suppressant.

Lately (the past month) I have noticed that I am having trouble maintaining my lean-ness... at least a lot more than ever before. My workouts are still the same, and if anything, my cardio is at least on par with, if not better than before. I live in downtown Chicago and walk and bike EVERYWHERE I go.

I have noticed that on top of not being able to stay as lean as easily, I am ALWAYS hungry. I can't stop eating and I am basically starving myself to stay at my caloric deficit of 2,200 cals.... which used to be no problem.

The only thing in my diet that has substantially changed is the amount of coffee I drink. During the school year I was averaging 3 or 4 cups a day of regular coffee (usually from starbucks) and now that it is summer time and I only have two classes I tend to only drink one cup and sometimes don't have any.
    So as a rough estimate (figure 200mg per cup of coffee X 3 or 4) I WAS consuming 600-800mg caffeine daily, versus now, which is 200-300mg and sometimes none at all.

Is it possible that my reduction of 3 cups a day of coffee is the reason that I am having such trouble holding my deficit and keeping lean on the same diet?
    I suppose it seems plausible, but I wasn't aware caffeine could effect it that much.

2. PianoProdigy

PianoProdigy Better than most at most things OT Supporter

Just go buy some caffeine pills and pop them twice daily. They are cheap and 200 mg each. Do it for 2 weeks and don't change anything else and see if anything changes.

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I've done that. Both standard caffeine pills and stacked with ephedrine as well. They work well for about a week and then you start to feel like shit and can't function without it. And getting up in the morning is a fucking chore and a half. I restrict the caffeine pills purely for EC usage.

I have upped my consumption of coffee back up to 3 or 4 cups a day to see if anything changes though. Hopefully i'll know in a couple weeks.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this as well.... meaning, cutting back on coffee and therefore having trouble keeping the same caloric intake and staying lean.

4. turbage

turbage New Member

do you have a fitday or other way to record your caloric intake/timing? Because it seems that you're talking in rather general terms on what you're eating, and that probably means you're eating like shit and blaming the extra pudge on caffeine.

lets see some numbers

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I am by no means a newbie at this, and at 10% b/f I don't have much "pudge" but I am starting to lose some of my lean-ness and vascularity in specific areas (chest, shoulders, quads).

I do keep track on fitday btw. I have my cals down, and all of my macro ratios down ;)

My question relates the question I asked.... about caffeine. Not criticism of assumed holes in my diet.

My numbers are typically (for my cut) 2,200 cals, 60g fat, 150g carbs, 230g protein. Respectively, macro ratios of 30/25/45 percentiles (F/C/P)

6. turbage

turbage New Member

interesting. the stimulant effect of the caffeine, at least in my experience, is going to suppress the appetite somewhat

any strength increases/decreases since changing the caffeine levels?

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Not particularly. Strength is the same, if not having gone up a bit.

I used to have little problem staying at or slightly under 2,200 cals, now if I didn't force myself not to I need to eat 3,000 cals to even keep myself from feeling starving.

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I think I answered my own question today.

I drank 4 cups of coffee and so far (9:30 at night) I have only consumed 1,900 cals and I am not particularly hungry.

I guess drinking stupid amounts of coffee did more to keep my on track with diet than a I thought.
    We'll see after a week or two if I start to lean up a bit again.

9. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

caffeine is BO$$ yo

10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

i would prob. add 2 liters of pepsi per day

11. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Won't that lower my test?

Doctor says my test is already low and I am working on getting HRT + Clen + Tren to rectify the issue.

If I do 2 liters of pepsi with a GNC test booster do you think that will offset it?

12. NUDES

NUDES New Member

with a 2200 cal diet dude its already probably low

i love caffeine

13. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I have to be pretty low in cals to keep dropping weight once I get down the 12% and less zone.

I have genetics working against me to some extent. I keep a solid amount of lean red meats in my diet though and plus I am still pretty young. I assume it's fine for now.

14. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Ive heard from a lot of people lately that EC stacks can cause prostate inflation pretty quickly.

This was useful info to me as I was wondering why I couldnt pee well for the last couple weeks. Off for 2 days and im feeling better.

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

deadlifts > caffeine for weight loss

16. ACLdestroyer

:gtfo:

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Any info, references, or citation on this?

I pee a lot (like once every 45min to an hour) when on EC and once in a while it will hurt to piss but I really didn't think anything of it. Fuck, now you've got me worried about this shit :o

18. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

I've gone from 2-3 pots of coffee a day, so much coffee (I worked at Starbucks) that if I didn't have a constant stream of it I'd get sick, to 2-3 cups a day like now and have never noticed a difference in body fat or look.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that you only have two classes now instead of a few. I know when I am not occupied with something I am always hungry. Could also be not walking to and from additional classes as well. :dunno:

19. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Perhaps it is a combination of sitting around more due to less classes, and therefore getting hungry, and not having as much caffeine in my system to suppress my appetite :dunno:

20. Plan B

Plan B New Member

For what it's worth, when I intake less caffeine I too feel more hungary and find it harder to stay at my cutting intake.

I too am at a 2200 caloric intake ingestng 600-800mg/day

21. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Cool. At least I am not alone.

22. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

there is like 40-80mg in a cup

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

In starbucks coffee? Are you serious, LOL?!
    I tend to either get a small or medium (tall or grande) with room for cream. According to both of these sources caffeine content ranges from 240-330mg depending on size. I deducted down to 200mg to account for room for cream; so it would seem my figures are actually pretty conservative.

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/10/18/how_much_caffeine_in_starbucks_coffee.php

http://www.somacon.com/p147.php

24. ACLdestroyer

Nah no literature for ya. A friend on another Board mentioned that his prostate gets inflamed on EC and I started thinking about the weird symptoms Ive had lately. Looked it up online and I had perfect symptoms of Enlarged Prostate. Stopped the EC and the swelling went down right away.

Honestly this was the first Ive heard of the connection too. :dunno:

25. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Did you try the same with deca or with tea ?
    Maybe it's just the amount of liquid that fills you up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.