Caffeine bad for you?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by kendog, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kendog

kendog Active Member

I've taken energy supps etc for years, usually get some anxiety but I have anxiety anyways and just deal with it. Does caffeine induced anxiety and probably high blood pressure have some serious consequences? I never really hear it talked about but I think it probably does after some time.

2. smb is me

smb is me New Member

i've seen/heard studies that say you can go crazy on the caffeine. its not gonna hurt you, even some of it is good for you.

that doesn't mean its true.

3. kendog

kendog Active Member

well is it normal to see my vein beating on my neck? shit like that worries me

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Should you worry about anxiety? No, not really. Anxiety is mostly about "sensations" and won't really do any damage to you. It's uncomfortable though and can mess with your head so if caffeine is directly causing it, why not cut back?

High blood pressure however is very dangerous. If you have reason to believe that caffeine is the cause of this I would seriously consider dropping the caffeine... Or at least, cut down on the caffeine and start eating oats everyday.

High blood pressure can have serious long-term effects. Plus, constant anxiety can caused elevated blood pressure, so this whole is cyclical for you and it's all starting with the caffeine.

I would drop caffeine (slowly) and monitor your blood pressure. If the blood pressure moves into a healthy range once caffeine is out then keep it out.

5. kendog

kendog Active Member

Yea caffeine is most likely not in my best interest except I think I'm fully addicted to it and I love it despite increased anxiety (or at least I think I love it, addiction can be confusing in that respect). Probably best I get a cuff and start monitoring myself more and working on reducing caffeine to very small amounts.

6. smb is me

smb is me New Member

lol, in light of the bolded sentence, i too recommend that you reduce your caffeine intake.

I, msyelf, am a heavy caffeine user as well. Periodically, i cut back, just for the point of the matter. Nothing better than coffee in the morning to get going, and then a cup in the afternoon to help progress the day along. (post lunch).

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Just cut down slowly.

I went from consuming 800+ mg daily, to now less than a 100mg daily. Just cut it out slowly over the course of a month and monitor your blood pressure. You can get wrist monitors for like $30. They're always good to have around.

8. kpazzo6

kpazzo6 New Member

Yes its bad I've heard

9. TZ

TZ Banned

Until your body gets used to it, and then have to consume more to get the same effect and become dependent on more and more caffeine to 'get you going' :run:

I know people that are practically slaves to coffee :rofl:

10. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

I quit coffee at the beginning of the year. Still crave a cup every so often after lunch, but all in all it was a good decision. Anxiety has definitely dropped a ton and I dont get skipped heartbeats or palpitations anymore.

11. Ep

Ep Guest

12. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

only drink it before workouts now

13. Smutty

Smutty OT Supporter

I take a 2 week break every 4 weeks just to make sure I'm not addicted. I'm around 400 mgs a day on my on weeks.

14. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

i was at 1000mg to 1400mg a day.

cut down to about 140mg a day. depending who makes that first pot of coffee haha.

fucking blood pressure.

15. subwoofer

subwoofer OT Supporter

Cutting caffeine from my life was the best decision I ever made, next to quitting smoking. 0 anxiety

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.