Cadillac Plans V-12 Escalades.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Jan 29, 2004.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Cadillac to extend high-performance 'V' strategy to Escalade models

[​IMG]
    The sophisticated Cadillac Northstar XV-12 may find its first home in the Escalade

By RICHARD TRUETT | Automotive News
    (08:30 Jan. 29, 2004)

DETROIT - The Cadillac Escalade luxury SUV will muscle into the fast lane with a V-10 or V-12 engine, possibly as early as the 2006 model year.

The move is in keeping with General Motors' plans to create a series of exclusive high-performance cars and SUVs for Cadillac called the V Series. The first of those models, the CTS-V sports sedan, is now in showrooms. The CTS-V is powered by a V-8 from the Chevrolet Corvette ZO6.

GM is building a plant in Wixom, Mich., to produce engines for low-volume, high-performance vehicles. The automaker expects the plant to be building engines by the summer of 2005. That means an engine could become available for the 2006 model year.

"Obviously we wouldn't be putting in place a low-volume build center if we didn't choose to have a little fun here," says Tom Stephens, GM vice president in charge of global powertrains. "It's part of our product strategy. We'll need a place to build some of those high-image products."

Those high-image products will carry a higher price tag. The CTS-V sells for $49,300 - about $18,000 more than a base CTS. The Escalade, which is sold with a choice of two V-8s, starts at $52,830, including destination charges.

Engineers are testing on Detroit roads at least four high-performance engines in a fleet of Escalades.

"You will find Cadillacs running around with higher-output V-8s, running around with V-10s (and) V-12s," Stephens says, "and you will find even one variant with even more cylinders."

That other variant is the 16-cylinder engine from the Cadillac Sixteen concept car. GM Powertrain engineers have installed a 16-cylinder engine in a test Escalade. But that engine, producing 1,000 hp, may be too expensive to produce.

The most likely big displacement engine for the high-performance Escalade is the Northstar XV-12, which fits in the same space as the vehicle's current 6.0-liter V-8. That means the Escalade could get a V-12 without extensive reworking of the sheet metal.

The all-aluminum XV-12 7.5-liter V12 kicks out 750 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque, and meets the fuel economy standards of a V8. The engine offers a number of breakthrough features. General Motor's Displacement on Demand technology maximizes fuel efficiency by running on six cylinders or eight cylinders depending on engine load and throttle imput. A combined starter generator allows for faster, more muted starts. And a direct-injection gasoline combustion system amps up power, sharpens fuel efficiency and cuts down emissions.

The Escalade is scheduled for a complete redesign in 2007 or 2008. A high-performance engine for 2006 would help keep interest in the current model strong while Cadillac prepares the next version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

cadillac is very rapidly turning into a very interesting company

3. Possum Stomper

that said i think that V12 is a bit much, especially in an escalade

would rather see it in a new caddy coupe or something

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the CTS-V is a badass, though. it handles really really well, and it's only 5 hp less than the ZO6 vette. i guess the way they worked some part of it to get it into the CTS reduced the power of the motor by 5 hp.

5. TriShield

If they go ahead with it I'm sure we'll see it in the XLR and whatever new uber luxury car Cadillac has in the lurks to fight the S-Class, A8 and 7er.

6. Possum Stomper

there we go :cool:
    and i am all for the CTS-V, can't wait to see one

7. Johnny*MacBlayze

Johnny*MacBlayze wassup? shut up!

how about a new interior before a new engine

8. TriShield

I've heard they're getting a unique interior soon as well.

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: as of 3-4 months ago, I remember hearing something about the '05 model getting a whole new interior (no resemblance to the tahoe/yukon whatsoever :coold: - "almost corporate-jet like" IIRC)

10. TriShield

Yes, private jet inspired. :big grin:

11. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 Guest

caddy is becoming a very sweet company they are switching everything to rwd :) even the new sevilles :naughty:

12. WAYTOOCLEAN

WAYTOOCLEAN New Member

V-12 Escalades. V-Series. Massive improvements in GMs part.

13. big_john2438

big_john2438 Guest

cadillac rocksors my boxsors and soxsors my dad works for powertrain General Motors so he gets the low down on all this shit before any one else knows its gonna rock i was told around 550 horsepower and it will go in da escalde and some other high perfomance very large vehicles its gonna rock

14. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

I bet GM reads this and your dad gets fired and kills you.

15. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Thats not really a good idea. The Allante had the interior like a jet cockpit, and it was total crap. But, maybe since Lutz is at GM now, he's been able to bring people over who actually know what quality is.

16. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I hope they stay away from the urge to jump on the V10 craze. Inherantly it's not a very good design. They should stick with V8s, V12s, and even the V16 for thier ultra high level line. Personaly I think GM should offer the "16" as a made to order car, ditch the 300hp 4.6 in the XLR, or at least off an option to step up to either the LS2, or V12, and an option for some sort of manual. The Vette already handles as good as the best super cars, why not offer super car luxery, and performance from a Caddy, that can do something most supercars can't do, be reliable!

17. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Just how will a V12 or a V16 offer more performance than a well designed and built V8? The Z06 can be tweaked to put out what, over 400hp? I may be wrong, but where is a V12 or a V16 going to be able to make more useable, efficient, reliable power? If more were really needed, a supercharger or even adding more ci should prove enough.

Maybe I'm old fashioned in that V12s and V16s have nothing more than "oooo....ahhhh" power over the real world horsepower of a V8.

18. LEX

LEX :2002:

:bowdown: Thats the first thing I thought of when I read the title, especially with the poor gas mileage the escalade already gets

19. d_98se

d_98se New Member

What ohh ahh is there about a properly massaged V12.

Ferrari 550 V12 [HP 485 TQ 419 lb.ft] 5.5 Litre engine

Real World 'Vette '05 [HP 400 TQ 400 lb.ft] 6.0 Litre engine

20. dunski

dunski Guest

750hp for a esclade is rediculous..its not like anyone is going to race with a esclade

21. LEX

LEX :2002:

:rofl:You would be surprised if you visited detroit and used the interstate :ugh: It's like the Indy 500

22. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

first off a V12 is a better design overall than a V8, it's a naturaly balenced engine. Also a V12 devides the load better, more cylinders are on a power stroke than on a V8 at the same time (3 vs 2) providing more torque with the same displacement, given a simularly built engine.
    The V16 is only for the ultra rare hand build cars. It's a matter of bragging rights, on a car that designed to be extreme. The Caddy 16 is an ultra car, with an engine to befit it's image. Not to mention that there is already a history of a Caddy V16 engine already there.

BTW the LS6, and LS2 put out 400+hp from the factory, but they are also using a pretty tame cam, conservative tunning, and can easily produce more, but at a cost of emissions, and fuel milage. The fact that the GenIII small blocks are so easy to modify for the average shade tree mechanic, and the fact that they are so damn reliable, is what makes that engine so good. However it would be easier to have a V12 make more power, use DoD technology, and still meet EPA regulations, if you wanted to offer something from the factory over 600hp. Not only that, but it would be the ONLY domestic to offer a high tech, performance V12 to go up against europes best. This can only be good for GMs image if they do it right. Considering GMs record on power tranes, it would be the only exotic to offer reliability fit for a daily driver.

23. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

maybe this time they'll outsource the design to learjet instead of boeing :mamoru:

24. Butz

Butz Guest

Let them make the 750hp Escalade!! And I'll race with it for ever:naughty:

I can see it now!! Lowered Suspension a big spolier, skirts and 24" wheels..:cool:

25. IEATPUPPIES

IEATPUPPIES Guest

WTF

PUSHROD V-12???

take one step forward, then two steps back!