CAD Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by toocool, Mar 7, 2006.

1. toocool

toocool omg omg its a haccchiiirokuuu

can someone help me understand this application? i have a friend that was explaining it to me, but i don't get anything he tells me.

first of all i don't understand the unit structure and how it relates to metric or whatever units.

2. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Cad's neat like that, there are no units. Just do everything up in units - whatever you prefer, and then say they're that. it's infinitely scalable in either direction, so that won't be a problem. If you want 10 mm, go with 10 units, but be damn sure you use MM for the rest too.

3. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

Legends are very handy in that respect. I hate it when I would forget what system I was using (damn overseas business)

4. toocool

ok so design the item then when its all designed specifiy what the actual units are at the end?

i'm trying to design some car parts for a CNC machine.

5. toocool

i'm getting frustrated! i'm used to doing 3D art and scenary using a program called Bryce3D.

autocad is frustrating the hell out of me because i do not know any values so i don't know where to place my objects in relation to anything. everything needs precise placement and i don't know how to do any of this.

6. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Place your objects SOMEWHERE, and make the plane the size of your raw chunk of whatever you're cutting on. Do the units in whatever units you set the thing up as, and that should do it. As long as it's all proportional, you can scale the shit out of it later to whatever size you need.

7. john80

john80 The only constant is change

turn on object snapping
    get a tutorial
    turn on ortho
    and turn on snapgrid
    learning autocad from scratch compared to 3d programs is like learning to drive a car when all you've been in is the little red and yellow toy car at chuck e cheese

8. toocool

i'm just really frustrated with the object placement. its pretty stupid. after i extruded my rectangle to my desired dimentions i either cannot figure out how to get the current diamention locations or it won't display them.

i definately do need to get a tutorial, learning this software has been more complicated than i have expected.

9. john80

john80 The only constant is change

crash course for units in autocad:

units are set at default of 1:1. So if you draw a line that's "10" long, that 10 can be whatever you want it to be. When you set your DDUNITS settings, you decide if you want to be in architectural, scientific, etc. Then if you go and choose architectural, you're drawing in inches and feet. so "1 unit" will equal 1 inch, in this case drawing that line "10" will draw it 10 inches long.

Engineering sets it at 1 unit = 1 foot, so it's much easier. GL