Cable modem: two services in the same house?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

We have residential cable modem through the cable company, and I am looking for something separate for business use. I see that earthlink also offers cable modem service. Can we have both services running simultaneously? Or do they use the same "tubes". :mamoru:

DSL is also an option, but we don't have a landline so that would be an added expense. (Why they refuse to sell DSL without phone service is beyond me but fuck them.)

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

LOL...they refuse to sell DSL w/o phone service because DSL uses the phone lines to transmit the data. But yeah, fuck those ass raping bastards. :rofl:

I dunno if you can use the same cable line for both residential and commercial cable service. WHy not call your local cable company and ask them?? Oh and from what I have gleened from my buddies DSL speeds are very dependant on how far from the demark you are. The farther away, the worse your speeds will be. With cable and many of the other technologies (like T1, etc) you don't have that problem.

3. fr00t

fr00t New Member

But with cable, speeds are dependent on your neighbours usage. If everyone on your street with cable starts downloading Debian, your FreeBSD download speed will decrease!

4. Coottie

Never had any slow downs, never heard of any slowdowns eventhough your argument was VERY prevalent when the cable services first started showing up. Too bad for the competition that the reality is that High Speed cable is pimp and none of these "supposed" slow downs ever materialized for anyone I know. They were however talked about like it was the Y2K issue with similar predictions of gloom and doom. It's just BS....HS Cable > *.

I looked at DSL vs Corp. Cable about 6 years ago and for our office, DSL won out. We were right on top of the demark, got the service with 16 static IPs and had hella fast speeds for around $40/month. It was awesome. But IIRC, the corp cable runs on different hardware then the residential cable.

5. Euclid

Euclid New Member

When I say I need it for business, my work only involves (essentially) futzing around on a web-based CMS. I don't need a static IP or anything fancy, so regular cable modem service would be sufficient.

I'm curious if there is a technical reason why two separate cable modems wouldn't work in the same house, like if they had to fight over the same segment of bandwidth on the cable or whatever.

I wonder what the cheapest telephone service I can get away with for DSL? I think there is like $15/mo. in phone taxes alone. :down:

6. Coottie

For the cable modem, you don't actually need 2 lines. You can have 1 line coming in, put up a cheep router that does Network Address Translation (NAT) and you can have virtually unlimited computers using that 1 cable modem. It's not hard and it's pretty cheep to do. In fact, right now I have 2 computers accessing 1 cable modem line at the same time and the router/firewall prevents anyone from seeing my communications on this side of the router.

The only issue becomes if you want to host a website at your house. Residential cable contracts forbid that, at least mine does. However I put one up and there is nothing blocking port 80 to the house, you just have to know the IP address as opposed to the URL.

7. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I am not completely clueless about networking. I need a separate service so that the company isn't paying for my family's personal internet access.

I'm still hopeful that someone on this forum has the technical knowledge to answer my original and standing question.

8. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I'll try this if no one on here can help me, but I don't want to spend 3 hours trying to get someone with half a brain on the phone.

9. Coottie

Well as far as networking goes it's very simple to set up. As far as costs go, perhaps you should spilt the cable bill between the company and your personal use??

If you absolutly have to keep them seperate and your business only needs sparing use of the internet, perhaps you should check into a wireless solution. Sprint has some nice options here but they can be kind of expensive, especially when the price of a home router is only around $50 or so.

10. fr00t

fr00t New Member

I live in Bristol in the UK, and this is true for me, and many people I know who live in the city. Come around mid-afternoon, my max download speed starts to decrease, and in the evening we get about 60-80% speeds.

EDIT: We live in student areas

11. plat

plat New Member

no problems with more then 1 cable modem as long as your willing to pay a second monthly fee.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm confused...they're willing to pay the fee for a high speed account, right? So why not send them the bill for your current broadband connection? Are they only going to pay if nobody uses it when you're not working? Does your company have a policy that says only you can use the account?

13. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I don't know if there is a policy, but it does seem to be the prudent thing to do. In case there is some kind of policy in place, I want to know what my options are.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

Step 1, ask your company what the policy is.

It would be win/win if they paid half your fee...you'd get a reduced fee and they'd only pay half of what they would have if you didn't have broadband in the first place.

I'd be surprised if they made you get a 2nd service *just* for work.

15. Euclid

Euclid New Member

But now this issue has aroused my technical curiosity! :run:

16. 7960

7960 New Member

Yes, you can have two cable modems in your house. It would be similar to an apt building. I'm not sure if they'd only need to split another cable off inside your house or if they'd need to run a second line from the pole to your house and put another junction box on the outside of your house.

Obviously your broadband bill would double.