cable modem problem?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

For some reason lately whenever I upload my cable modem would literrally shut off the connection, the lights just suddenly turn off after a couple minutes of uploading and goes back on in about 30 seconds. The cycle repeats until the connection just completely dies, the lights are still on but yet when I go into ip config I see nothing in ip address and other fields.

I tried using different programs to upload like BT and Emule and DC++ but they all cause the same problem and I even reformmated and got newest service pack.

Another strange thing is my cable modem whenever I touch it or move it a little bit the whole thing will reset itself and be down for a couple hours before it finally "finds" the connection.

All the cabling should be good, any idea what's wrong?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Ever thought about calling your ISP and telling them?
    I'm sure they might have a better idea.
    Hell the modem might be dying, or it's something as simple as a problem on their end, call them and tlet them know what's going on.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yeah, call your ISP. Unless it's like my ISP in which case if you call them you'll go through an idiot answering system that makes you talk to it, then sit on hold until you get pissed off and go burn down their corporate headquarters several hours later.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yeah, that's fucked up. don't tell your ISP you were using BT - say you were downloading files on the web or usiing ftp. hardware might be the cause, or they might be capping commonly used ports for filesharing. k++ will let you use other ports and i suppose a BT client with similar port switching feature is available.

5. alreadyDEAD

alreadyDEAD New Member

Also make sure that your CM is not overheating. I had a similar problem and it was caused by too much equipment being stacked around it.

6. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

yeah I was thinking they might be blocking ports but i dont know much about ports so i dont konw

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

who is your cable isp?

8. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I had the same problem, Linksys stacks nicely, but it overheats like a bitch