Cable modem experts - signal levels

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by perry, Apr 26, 2005.

1. perry

perry burp

Level with my splitter installed:
    [​IMG]

Levels without my splitter installed
    [​IMG]

Those come from my modem's diagnostic page. The splitter has been working perfectly for almost 4 years now, but today it started giving me troubles. I went to the kitchen this afternoon to make a sammich, came back, and the modem wouldn't sync. Waited about 5 hours, still nothing, called Comcast, no outtages, so they scheduled a tech to come out. Decided to play with the splitter, plugged the line from the wall in to the modem and it syncs right up. Tried w/ the splitter installed but without the second output connected and it won't work.

This is a splitter that [email protected] gave me almost 4 years ago.. They scolded me for using the wrong one when they installed the service and gave me this one.

Anything look wrong with those signal levels? I don't know too much about em...

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

your RSS is -12 with the spliter. That's your problem. I think 9 or less is what you want.

3. perry

perry burp

So it's marginal even without the splitter?

I wonder if those fuckers were outside my apartment building messing with things today :rant:

Maybe that would explain why some of my tv channels have been kinda fuzzy recently.

4. mace

mace i don't read

they'll probably put an amplifier before the splitter somewhere

5. plat

plat New Member

upstream power level is at max transmit.

downstream is a little low but -12 is still within spec.

looks like an issue with the plant.

edit: when you say with out the splitter does that mean NO splitters at all?

6. perry

perry burp

I have just a single jack in my bedroom. The Comcast tech gave me a splitter so I could have my tv and cable modem hooked up. Those shots are with and without that splitter in place.

Went down to my local Comcast office and got a new splitter and cable to go from the splitter to the cable modem. Didn't fix my problem, but now the downstream strength with the splitter installed is -11.5. (spec calls for -15 to +15, right?) Upstream power level has not changed.

The lady at the office said she noticed a "glitch in my account" that she fixed and I "should definitely notice a difference." That's all she told me :dunno: She said the guy on the phone last night should have been able to fix whatever the problem was.

Guess I will have to get the tech out here. I'm on the bottom floor of a 3 story apartment building, not sure if they'd be allowed to start poking wires through the walls. Hopefully it's just a simple problem outside.

edit: Tried the modem on the other cable jack in my apartment... does the exact same thing. Works without the splitter in place, doesn't work with it there. Maybe the modem is dieing? I'll try to get back to the Comcast office later today and get a new one. Going down there is easier than waiting around all afternoon for a tech that may or may not show.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  7. plat

plat New Member

its not your modem

since you live in an apartment your pretty much screwed till you can get a tech out there.

8. perry

perry burp

Ok, won't go get the modem replaced. Called and have a tech scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the dispatched tech should have spare modems anyway, so he can swap on the spot if neccessary.

10. perry

perry burp

Very weird. It started working through the splitter last night, and is still working now. Signal levels have not changed.. Cancelled the appointment.. if it's not broke, don't fix it :x:

11. plat

plat New Member

you are going to regret that. :hsugh:

12. mace

mace i don't read

demand they give you an amplifier anyway, so you can split your cable more.

13. perry

perry burp

I've had it running with that splitter since September 2001 when I moved in.. Monday was the first time it's given me a problem like this.. and now everything works again, so I'm happy :dunno: :hs:

Why would I need to split my cable more? TV + cable modem is all I need in my bedroom. And I'll probably be moving when my lease is up at the end of August.

14. plat

plat New Member

:ugh: an amplifier is not the solution to his problem

15. plat

plat New Member

because your upstream signal is way out of spec, in the coming summer months when it starts heating up you wont have an Internet connection at all.

16. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

Comcast is great at not working and the working for no reason.