Cable Modem Box Lag

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ractoon, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

Right now I'm running a Motorola Cable Modem on a Comcast service and it's having some issues. Internet cuts in and out, especially noticable with AIM. The Comcast people say since the modem was not issued by them it has conflict with their service. Is this true? If so does anyone know of a modem that doesn't have conflict issues? Thanks in advance.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Does the modem meet the DOCSIS standards. If so then it should work w/o problems. Check the coax going to the cable modem for damage.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Are you in an apartment complex that has cable modem service?

How's your cables look?

How's you're pings look? If you have packet being dropped, then you definitely want to make sure all the cables on your side are in good condition. Then contact the cable company and prepare for an up hill battle. But a pretty good argument is always, "why are my packets being dropped?" - just make sure they're dropping because they can ping the MAC address (it wasn't until they did this that they sent a tech out to install an amp on the line).

4. itchiban

itchiban Guest

It could just be a weak signal in the line. I think motorola has a website that can tell you signal strength of your cable. You should be above -2db for a steady signal.