Cable internets

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jim Jones, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

I've got a cable modem hooked up in one room, running a desktop and a laptop through a router. If I got another desktop, could I buy a second modem and hardwire it to that in another room through the cable there? Or would the cable company have to set that up and charge me for it?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Generally, 1 internet fee = 1 modem connection. Why not just use wireless or run cat5 from the router to that other room?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you would be charged. you already have a router, run a fucking cat6.

4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

If I'm asking this question, what makes you think I know what a cat# is?

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Ethernet cable. What you have going from the router to your computers.

6. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

The cable they're talking about is the one that runs from your router to your PC. It would be a bit of a pain in the ass for you to do it, if you don't know anything about it, but its by far a cheaper solution. Just run a cable to the other room, buy a cheap hub or switch at your favorite computer electronics store, then plug that cable and the other computers into it.

7. awns729

awns729 New Member

You could just also connect this computer throught eh same router. Explain your situation a bit more if you're stillconfused. (What problems are you having? Do you want wireless b/c of location of the new computer? Do you have a wireless router? Does the new computer have a wireless card?)

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Dot

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Each modem has a unique ID number called a MAC address. The cable company's firewall only allows traffic to/from cable modems with MAC addresses that you've paid to have unlocked. So there's no way around it. Buy a router instead.

Anyway, even if you could connect more than one cable modem in your house, there would be no point because the bottleneck is the cable box at the end of your neighborhood; if nobody else in your neighborhood is online, a single modem will give you all the speed you could want; if everybody else in your neighborhood is online, a billion cable modems would still go so slowly as to make you want to claw your eyeballs out.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It would be in your best interest to learn what it is, then. It's not secret information, you could spend ten minutes on Wikipedia and learn everything you need to know.

Before you start bitching that all this computery shit is too complicated, consider it the cost of admission: you can't use it if you don't know how. Same with cars, guns, lawnmowers, women, etc.