Cable + DSL -> Xincom Dual Wan -> WiFi Router ???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maczter, Jun 24, 2004.

1. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I have a cable modem and a DSL modem connected to the WAN ports of a Xincom 502 Twin WAN Router/Switch. I have a patch cable going from one of the LAN ports on the Xincom to the WAN port of a Linksys WRT54G Wi-Fi Router/Switch.

Everything connected to the Xincom works fine.

I can access the Admin site of the WRT54G, but I haven't found the magic combination that allows the computer connected to it to access the Internet.

-DHCP is enabled on the Xincom.

-DHCP is disabled on the Linksys.

-A static IP in the range of the Xincom is applied to the LAN address of the Linksys.

-The WAN address of the Linksys is left on dynamic (gets IP from DHCP server on Xincom)

-Linksys is set to Router (with default values) instead of Gateway

Do I need to do something to the settings on the Xincom?

What am I missing here?

I tried searching here and on Google, but didn't quite find anything that worked yet.

FWIW, both the Xincom and the Linksys are set to use the default 192.168.1.xxx range. The Xincom is assigned LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 (Gateway address for the Linksys), the Linksys LAN IP is 192.168.1.2 (with WAN IP of Linksys assigned by DHCP from the Xincom). The subnet is 255.255.255.0

Thanks.

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

can you access the on-board menu of the dual-wan router?
    also, it might be easier to just hook Xincom LAN -> Linksys LAN, and that should work and leave you able to still access the entire network wirelessly.

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

First question is WHY Router to router? If I understand what your saying your trying to pass the same net through two routers which is against the purpose of them. A router is to connect to nets together.

So you have
    DSL - (wan)Xincom(lan) -lan1- (wan)Linksys(lan) -lan1- Computer
    Correct?

If you have a reason to do this, you cannot have the same net (subnet ip range) on the LAN side as you do in the WAN side of the Linksys.

You can have:
    DSL - (wan)Xincom(lan) -net1- (xlink lan)Linksys(lan) -net1- Computer
    BUT you will then have a Router to a Switch wasting the routing part of the Linksys.

OR

DSL - (wan)Xincom(lan) -net1- (wan)Linksys(lan) -net2- Computer

So basically to do this correct you need to let the Xincom do DHCP to the Linksys and have the Linksys to DHCP to its clients but they will need to be doing DHCP on a different network. (i.e. Xincom 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and Linksys 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0) There is a possibility to forward the DHCP but its much more complicated and I am not sure these devices have the intelegence to do it.

4. maczter

Alright.

I am using the Xincom for it's dual-wan capabilities (failover/redundant connectivity and load balancing between the cable modem and DSL).

I am using the Linksys router for it's WiFi capabailities. I could just put a switch between the cable modem (or DSL modem) and each router, but then I lose the dual-WAN capabilities of the Xincom router and I really need the redundant connectivity on all the machines.

Ideally, my network will look like this....

[​IMG]

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've done router to router before for Internet access and it works fine. But, what you really want is for the Linksys to be an access point, not a router. You can do this by connecting a LAN port on the Linksys to a LAN port on the Xincom. Manually assign the LAN side of the Linksys an IP address on the Xincom's LAN, but outside of its DHCP scope. Disable the DHCP server on the LAN side of the Linksys. Presto! Access point. Which is just a wireless to wired bridge. Anything from the wifi side gets passed to the wired LAN ports. So DHCP requests from your wireless devices get handled by the Xincom's DHCP server. I've done it so I know it works.

6. maczter

Beautiful! That's exactly what I want.

Lemme give it a shot. I'll report back shortly!

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Oh, depending on whether or not you have an uplink port or an autosensing port on one of the routers, you might need to use a crossover cable to make the LAN to LAN link.

8. maczter

Looks like that did the trick!

I had all my stuff config'ed correctly. I just needed to move the Xincom-->Linksys cable from the Linksys' WAN port to one of its LAN ports as you suggested and it worked right away!

Thanks. I honestly wouldn't have thought of doing that. Too many years doing Audio/Video gear (Output --> Input only :) ).

Thanks again!

9. maczter

Well...the WiFi router worked right away after moving the cable, but I had to putz around with the Security settings for a while before I was finally able to connect properly to be able to get out to the Internet using my laptops WiFi instead of a network cable.

It's all working good and the WiFi is locked down tight (128 bit WEP, no broadcasting SSID, changed SSID, MAC filtering and all that fun stuff).

Took a lot longer than I had anticipated, but it's all working now and I can now roam the house (or the city) instead of being stuck at my desk during market hours. :)

10. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

maczter, i was looking into that router. because i want a faster internet connection, do you know if its possible to shotgun (one WAN for upload, and the other for download) with that router? Or is your internet connection faster anyways?

11. maczter

I'm no IP wiz, but I don't think it would work to have dedicated Upload and Download WAN connections, as they would each have to have unique IP addresses and server communication for Uploads and Downloads is still truly a two-way thing, with file requests being sent to the server that you are downloading from. The request would come from your Upload WAN and it wouldn't be able to get the files to you since it would have no way to know the IP of your Download WAN.

You follow me? The only way I can think of off-hand that that could work is if the router was able to modify the packets for file requests to look like they were coming from the IP address of the Download WAN...and it doesn't do that. :mb: