Cable Crunch Form v.maine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ralyks, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I remember you mentioning they 'are a staple' of your routine (but anybody who knows what they're doing chime in). I tried it out recently and loved it but the movement seems a little weird. Is my back supposed to arch at the top, then round when you're fully contracted? Hips are supposed to be stationary right? If someone has a video of the right form that would be awesome :x:

How much weight do you use? The pulleys at my gym go up to 190lbs, I did 190x10x3 today and don't know where to go from here.

2. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

You must have a fucked up pulley system. Ours goes to 100 and 80 is a bitch to get in position.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

it all depends on the pully... some say 200lbs and its easy, some say 100 and its hard.

Honestly, its all trial and error with cable ab work. I tried it forever and never felt anything. then a modified my stance a bit and its hits em great. now, I have a slight bend in my kness and I bring my whole body into the motion - arched at the top and rounded at the bottom.

biggest advice that helped me - pressing my abs out and holding air like on a pull or squat. that really helped me out

like so:
    http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos/lnabpulldown.wmv

4. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

use ONLY your ab muscles, your arms should only act as "anchors" to bring the rope down. I use 60lbs and i can barely get 10 in, and it hits em GREAT.

5. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Hmmmm I've been doing them with my knees on the ground, is standing better? I just want to make sure going from arched back to rounded isn't doing a number on my spine.

Yup.

It's probably Canadian. There's another one that has more resistance per lb but it would be harder to use because of where it's located.

6. dieslow

dieslow Guest

I have a hard time hitting my abs doing pulldown crunches as well. I've moved over to GHR weighted abs, and its hitting them MUCH better

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i get down on my knees. lean over. and try to pull my shoulders toward my hips. focus on tightening your abs which will lead to a rounding of the back. blowing air out as you contract helps as well i've found.

i wanna try doing them like that girl is in the video. looks hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.